UPDATE: Student who ‘set fire to himself’ at Krannert Center identified

The Champaign County Coroner made the identification on Thursday

UPDATE [4/21/17, 10:50pm]: The man found dead following a fire at the Krannert Center has been identified as Westley Banks, a 21-year-old UIUC student studying Musicology. Information released by the Champaign County Coroner suggests that Banks set fire to himself.

Banks was from Gurnee, Illinois.

UI Police Chief Jeff Christensen released a statement saying:

“By all accounts, Westley was hard-working, personable and an enthusiastic student. We are deeply saddened any time harm comes to one of our campus community members. Our thoughts and sympathies right now are with Westley’s family, friends, classmates, coworkers and anyone else affected by this tragedy.”

Counseling services are being offers to students affected by this incident and UIPD encourages them to reach out and contact the Counseling Center at (217) 333-3704, McKinley Health Center at (217) 333-2701, or Faculty/Staff Assistance Services at (217) 244-5312. After 5:00 p.m. and on weekends, counseling is available through the Crisis Line at (217) 359-4141.

UPDATE [2:03pm]: The person has been confirmed as a 21-year-old man. His family has been notified.

University of Illinois Police Department are currently investigating a death following a fire at the Krannert Center Amphitheater early Wednesday morning.

At 2:47 a.m., University police responded to a call about a fire in the outdoor area of the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts on Goodwin Ave.

When officers arrived, they found an extremely burned individual with a gas can next to them. While the flames were extinguished, the individual was declared deceased by the Champaign County Coroner.

University Police believe this incident should not cause worry of further incidents.

The Champaign Country Coroner is currently identifying the individual. There has been no information released yet to suggest the person was a UIUC student.

More to follow.

University of Illinois