University and NTFC reach tentative agreement on five-year contract

It was announced around 10am this morning

This morning, after a long period of striking, the University and the NTFC (Nontenured Track Faculty Coalition)have come to an agreement.

The agreement calls for nontenured faculty to receive a five-year contract that will give them a sense of job security. A meeting will be held today to vote on whether or not to end the work stoppage that had been scheduled.

An email from the Interim Chancellor, Barbara Wilson, and Interim Provost, Edward Feser, reads:

“Dear Faculty, Students and Staff,

We are pleased to announce that negotiators for the university and the Non-Tenure Faculty Coalition have reached a tentative agreement on a five-year contract. The NTFC has scheduled a meeting for today to vote on whether to end its five-day work stoppage and will schedule a vote in the near future for its membership to review and vote on this tentative agreement.

Students in courses taught by specialized faculty should expect to hear from their instructors this evening on whether those classes will be held tomorrow.

With this milestone agreement, the university and the Non-Tenure Faculty Coalition look forward to building a productive, long-term relationship for the future.

We would not achieve our mission as a leading public research university without the excellent work and dedication of our specialized faculty. We are a stronger institution when they are integral partners in governance, when their teaching is protected by academic freedom and when they have appropriate predictability and stability in their appointments.

This tentative agreement addresses those priorities without supplanting the roles of the departments and colleges as important stewards of hiring and promotion for our academic programs. It also preserves the flexibility of units to offer multiyear contracts according to their own needs and financial capacity.

We greatly value the contributions of our specialized faculty, and we appreciate that negotiators for the union remained at the bargaining table with us to find common ground that achieves our shared goals.”

University of Illinois