Inside a Hoya’s inbox: The good, bad, and the useless

Did you know it’s 50 percent off sweaters at the bookstore?

It’s the most wonderful time of the year at Georgetown. Midterms are in full force right now, and so are the useless emails.

Do you know that feeling when you’ve waited for what seems like an eternity for your professor to respond to your email? I mean seriously, I’ve gotten Amazon Prime orders faster than my professors respond to emails.

We’ve all been in that position, waiting for an important email but all that keeps popping up are emails from random university affiliates.

Generally people ignore these emails, or at least set them as read so that they won’t have that permanent notification on the mail app. Fear not, my tired and over-caffeinated Hoyas, I have gone through my inbox with a fine tooth comb to let you know everything you’ve been missing out on in your inbox.

Tapingo

Why does Tapingo send out 500 emails a week? Tapingo contacts me more than my mom does, and it’s getting out of hand. I get it Tapingo – you’re having a sweepstakes that I’m not going to win and therefore don’t care about. Leave me alone. And no, I don’t want to “pumpkin spice up my life.” I’ll take my coffee black as the dark circles around my eyes. Please and thank you.

Clubs you signed up for at CAB fair

Every year you tell yourself, I won’t spend all my free time watching Netflix and eating Doritos, and so, at CAB fair you sign up for 700 different activities so you can feel like a productive member of society.

Maybe you’ll play a sport? Join the cooking club? A dance team? The possibilities are endless, but instead, true to yourself, you sign up for Hulu plus and neglect every activity you thought you would be a part of.

But you don’t get off that easily. Every day of your life you will be reminded by hoards of emails of all of the events for every club you signed up for. The feeling is bittersweet. You might not be a star on the basketball club team, but you can eat a box of cheez-its at a record breaking speed, so who’s the real winner here?

Residential Living

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve ignored residential living emails several times, primarily because they tend to be about things people leave until the last minute like laundry, living agreements, and room condition reports.

But, that doesn’t turn out too well when Res Living actually sends out something useful, like – I don’t know – a water outage. And then you don’t understand what’s going on until you’re butt naked and freezing cold, calling out to your roommate, “I think I broke the shower.”

Georgetown University Bookstore

How is it that the bookstore can send me an email every other day on their sweater sale, but can’t get me my books on time? The bookstore advertises everything, except books. Everything is 50 percent off – all the time. Except books. Get it together bookstore.

GUSA

If you’re not involved with student government, and don’t really participate in the voting, then you probably don’t read the emails they send out either. But once you actually click and scroll, there’s actually really important stuff in there, like all of their accomplishments that benefit the community.

If one good has come from this experience of reading through my emails I don’t care about, it’s that I’ve learned to appreciate our student government. Thanks Enushe and Chris.

So, Hoyas, when you’ve sent out a lengthy urgent email to a professor, and you’re constantly refreshing your inbox waiting for their response, which will probably be no longer than two words, try reading those emails you never read. Who knows, there might be a 50 percent sweater with your name on it.

Georgetown University