There’s no place like Long Island, the best place to grow up in America

There’s no place like home unless home is anywhere other than Long Island

Something you never had to deal with in high school, “Where are you from?” becomes an automatic introduction through not only your freshman year at college, but virtually any time you meet someone new. My tactic in answering this seemingly simple question was to keep it vague. “I’m from New York.” This was always followed with the dreaded, “What part?” or “I love the city!” Once the secret was out and I responded with, “I’m from Long Island actually” said person’s demeanor always changed.

Either they looked like they smelt something horrific or they tried to relate by saying some distant relative (who they never seemed too fond of) lived there. Why Long Island is met with this reaction, I’m not sure. Within this small bubble of suburbia, we can proudly boast sharing our not so little island with the Hamptons and Montauk and still have the city at our fingertips. Clearly a zealous follower of the number one rule in real estate “location location location”, there’s no place just as prime.

Bagels

Of course. A luxury I always took for granted, New York bagels are their own food category and once you’ve had one nothing else compares. It hurts when Einstein’s tries to squeeze their circular bread into the highly esteemed category of bagels. Welcome to the big leagues people, Long Islanders get creative with their “healthy versions” too, as staying in shape is a big concern around here. For the fit MILFs maintaining that physique better than their adolescent daughters can, options such as low carb, whole wheat, and the famous “scooped out” are all readily available at local shops.

Scenic views for the masses 

Seriously, there’s an abundance of beautiful spots to enjoy on Long Island. Bumming it in Montauk or the Hamptons aren’t your only options. A day at the beach or a boat ride around with your 100 closest friends can also be enjoyed near places like The great South Bay, Atlantic Beach, Fire Island (pictured below) and Robert Moses Park. Minus the chilly temperature, these locations are just as beautiful in the winter. Tourists travel hours for what we our lucky enough to call our backyard.

Culture

In about 30 minutes, the LIRR has us in the most incredibly exciting and gorgeous city in the world. It would be impossible to name every aspect of this place that makes it quite what it is but when you’re not trying a new place from nycfoodgals or making some questionable decisions at the hottest clubs, the surplus of culture is enough to keep you busy for years (not a bit of exaggeration here). Museums, music, architecture, theater – there is honestly nothing that is lacking. And one more thing, any moderately respectable person knows that calling “the city” any place besides NYC will simply never be justified.

Education 

Home to some of the best schools in the nation, even our public education is top notch. Most of these were so small people joked they were private. Being best friends with your teachers was standard and the only thing unusual was not texting them outside of class. Many of us are fortunate enough to have grown up within a family and community that was extremely supportive in all our interests and endeavors, signing us up for a million diverse activities. Here we have a shot of a few schemey little picassos in the making

Long Island Grub

Besides pizza and bagels, we definitely have the best variety of food in America. To name a few, you can find a place that caters to any craving with an extensive arrangement of Greek, Indian, Italian, Chinese, and Jewish restaurants. We’re even on board with every whack new health fad that comes out. Rice donuts anyone?

Say whatup to the boys 

The property around Long Island is the perfect place to have a good time. Especially for high schoolers, when clubbing isn’t as much of an option, the teenagers living here are notorious for their crazy house parties that usually end up with the host’s parents joining in as well. No doubt we have fun di.

teenagers at a house party in Long Island

Facts

We’re all just bosses. All of us. Come on now, look at this mom boarding home with Sunday’s breakfast. Would you find that in Kansas? Sorry Dorothy but probably not.

Here’s to the place that takes advantage of all the seasons and all the settings. Whether you’re relaxing in Quogue or walking down a trendy little street in Brooklyn, there’s no place like New York. There’s no place like Long Island, where anything we’d ever need is right. fucking. here. And before you argue that these things could “possibly” be found elsewhere, sorry you’re just wrong.

To all the homies of the 516, see you soon. Ketty loves you.

Georgetown University