Volunteers for the Created Equal campaign are courageous for enduring all the hate directed at them

Students were intolerant of their freedom of speech

Yesterday, a group of volunteers from an organization called Created Equal visited campus, to the disdain of many. The organization is based out of Ohio, and travels around to campuses across the nation to show the harsh realities of abortion.

With their huge posters and real-life pictures of aborted babies, they certainly captured the attention of campus.

When the pro-lifers and their anti-abortion photos started settling in front of the HCB building, I knew the pro-choice supporters would be out in front of them in no time. When I stopped for a few minutes to talk to one of the pro-life volunteers named Maria José, I must have heard about five different people cursing out the volunteers, not to mention the pro-choice activists yelling out as students passed by, making a big scene.

The pro-choice supporters were holding posters with vulgar language. Quite frankly, it goes to show where most of the intolerance is actually coming from.

The whole point of the volunteers speaking out about the harsh realities of abortion was not to “let white males tell females what to do with their bodies” or to “force religion down people’s throats,” but instead to inform students what really happens to women after an abortion and how it affects them mentally, physically and emotionally.

The chilling images of the aftermath of real-life procedures brought in a huge audience, and volunteers handed out informational pamphlets. Many organizations use in-your-face words and images to gain attention. How is it different from people at the women’s march wearing vagina hats or holding inappropriate photos of the president?

The anti-abortion activists could be described in one word, and that’s courageous. They received so much hate for their beliefs. Hearing “fuck you” and other vulgar language spewed at them every few minutes and watching students make fun of them would be something most people would feel uncomfortable participating in.

When I asked Maria José if hearing and seeing all of the disapproving people bothered her, she said the volunteers get used to it and that she’s only there to inform those who want to truly know more about what the cause fights for.

It’s sad that a group of people trying to peacefully inform the public are frequently shut down by others who disapprove and have to make that known to the world.

Florida State University