Tips to getting the most out of your on campus Starbucks experience

No one wants to wait half an hour at Stroz for their grande macchiato

We’ve all been there: that moment when you walk up to Starbucks ten minutes before class starts hoping to grab a drink, but the line goes out the door and crushes your delicious coffee dreams. If you’re like me, you usually decide to just make the line anyways and get to class late. Well, to make the most out of your Starbucks experience, we’ve listed the top five Starbucks hacks below to help you make the time you lost learning in class worthwhile.

Time is of the Essence

In college, time is of the essence. We all wake up at 7:50 AM for an 8 AM and we all need our coffee. Living on campus, I have determined that the best time to go to Starbucks is when the class before mine starts.

For example, if I have an 11 AM, then I go get my coffee at 10:10 AM. I know that this seems like a lot of time, but there won’t be a line and the baristas won’t be backed up 10 drinks. If you go right before your class, you’ll run into that pre-class and after class rush. But going when a class starts guarantees (about 95 percent of the time) that there will be no line.

If you’re studying at Stroz late at night and you realize you want a drink, never go at the beginning or end of an hour. People usually start going around that time because that’s how they reward themselves for studying, so you’ll end up getting stuck in line.

There is always more

You know that moment when you really want a cake pop at the Starbucks on Woodward and there aren’t any cake pops out? You decide to not get your cake pop because you don’t want the barista to tell you no. Well I hate to break it to you, but there is most likely cake pops and other food behind the display. Unless you’re at Stroz or it’s the day before they get more inventory, Starbucks on campus always has more food just behind the counter. So, never be afraid to ask for what you want to eat.

Dirac is the move

Now, I am not talking about the outside Dirac Starbucks. During the day, going inside Dirac to get Starbucks never has more than a five person line. The outside may be busy, but the inside is generally not. So take the few extra steps around the corner and get your Starbucks with no rush.

They’re generally stacked up on food, and the atmosphere is so relaxed that the barista will most likely tell you: “Thanks a latte, have a grande.”

BYOC

Bring Your Own Cup. If you bring your own cup, Starbucks offers a ten cent discount. I know this does not seem like a lot, but the 10 cents will build up over time and you’ll eventually save a lot of money. Bringing your own cup also helps the environment since you are reusing a cup and not adding to landfill waste. Plus, you’ll avoid the awkward instance of the barista misspelling your name on one of their cups.

My warning to all Gold Star members

Starbucks on campus does not follow the Rewards Program that Corporate Starbucks offers. You’ll still get the points for the drink you purchase, but you cannot use your free drink reward or get any free refills. I know it sucks, but here’s your warning. So please don’t scream at the person behind the counter.

If you have any of your own hacks, share them with the FSU community and help a Starbucks lover out. Remember, there’s nothing Starbucks can’t fix – unless you want Dunkin.

Florida State University