Anti-hate chalk messages have replaced pro-Trump graffiti

'Choose compassion', 'Stop hate' and 'Stand against hatred' have been chalked around campus

Yesterday’s pro-Trump graffiti has been replaced with anti-hate messages of positivity.

While some of the previous chalking remains intact, a number have been replaced with messages of love and support.

"Love Not Hate"

‘Love Not Hate’

President James Wagner had sent an email this morning to the Emory Community, encouraging conversation and debate while also maintaining “respect, civility, and inclusion” for a “safe environment.”

Top of image: remainder of what was "Vote Trump" Bottom of Image: "Xenophobia" crossed out

Early this evening, a joint statement was sent by Emory’s Student Government Association (SGA) and College Council (CC) regarding the chalking incident.

The email echoes President Wagner’s emphasis on fostering an environment, “where the open expression of ideas and open, vigorous debate and speech are valued, promoted, and encouraged,” while steering completely away from any form of discrimination.

Extract from SGA/CC's email sent this evening

Extract from SGA/CC’s email sent this evening

It is unclear as to who or how many people are responsible.

Yesterdays pro-Trump chalk graffiti has created a lot of discussion around freedom of speech and a safe campus environment.

"Choose Compassion"

‘Choose compassion’

Several students are reported to have been upset by Tuesday’s Trump graffiti.

The concerns by the student body were more so regarding the values and xenophobic messages the political candidate advocates than the candidate himself.

"Stop Hate"

‘Stop hate’

Top of photo: Remainder of what was "Vote Trump" Bottom of photo: "Xenophobia" cancelled out

Top of photo: Remainder of what was ‘Vote Trump’
Bottom of photo: ‘Xenophobia’ cancelled out

SGA and CC have also made themselves available to anyone who may have been triggered by the series of events that have taken place. Both organizations have office hours at these times:

Thursday 3:30 – 5:00 PM (College Council Office in Eagles Landing)

Thursday 10:00 – 11:00 AM (SGA Office in Eagles Landing)

Do you want to write stories for thousands of readers?

, Campus Editor

Students arrested after protesting Georgia’s enrollment policy

The rising junior at Emory was one in a group of students involved in the protest

, Campus Editor

I was almost duped by a ‘scam job’ offer – and you could be too

Yes, please tell me less about this ‘amazing opportunity’

What it’s really like to work for the US government

Not everyone that works for the government is in the CIA

We spoke to the students campaigning on Hillary for America

‘When the stakes are this high, I cannot imagine sitting on the sidelines’

The ultimate guide to Tuscaloosa’s best bars

A night by night rundown of Title Town

Do women really get to choose if they want to have a career?

Or does society choose for them?

Having tattoos doesn’t make me any less of a woman

I’m tired of your judging eyes

My best friend is a child of divorce and it still affects her now

However it’s taught her to forge her own path – so it’s not always bad