Dartmouth is first university to graduate more women engineers than men

We’re making history

Dartmouth just made history by becoming the first research institution in the United States to graduate more female engineering majors than males. This year, 54% of Dartmouth Engineering majors were women. This is a tremendous increase from 37% in 2015.

The Thayer School of Engineering‘s accomplishment is groundbreaking because in America today, women only account for 14.8 percent of engineers and 20 percent of undergraduate engineering majors, according to the National Science Foundation.

Engineering majors Krystyna Miles ’16, left, and Shinri Kamei ’16 are members of Dartmouth’s first graduating engineering class that is over 50% female. Photo credit: Thayer School of Engineering

Joseph J. Helble, dean of the Thayer School of Engineering, spoke on the importance of their female engineering students.

“Our engineering students and graduates are recognized on campus for being smart, creative and achieving great success, and I think the successes of our female students, combined with our widely-recognized collaborative environment, attracts more women to engineering at Dartmouth.

“As our program has attracted more women, we have even more impressive stories to tell about the success of our female graduates, including their inventions, patents, start-ups, and the impact they’re making wherever they bring their talents.”

Elizabeth M. Dell, associate professor of mechanical engineering technology at the Rochester Institute of Technology, commends the Thayer School’s model and strategies focused on the environment.

“It is not about ‘fixing’ the women so they will fit in – it’s about ‘fixing’ the engineering learning environment so it’s effective for a broader, more diverse group of students.”

Dartmouth’s engineering department has “a diverse population of role models” in their faculty, says Helble, giving female students successful female mentors who encourage them to pursue careers in the male-dominated field.

Women in Dartmouth’s engineering department have tackled many innovative projects, including improving smartphone technology, medical devices and new ways to reduce concussions from playing football.

Dartmouth