Dartmouth ranked third most beautiful college campus in America

Always number one in our hearts

The Condé Nast Traveler has just ranked Dartmouth one of the most beautiful colleges campus in America, alongside Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas and Pepperdine University in Malibu, California .

It is no question that the rugged and secluded New Hampshire backdrop is a huge part of our identity and allure to potential students (refer to our kind of depressing but still quite telling motto “Vox clamantis in deserto” aka “The voice of one crying in the wilderness”), and our ample taste of every New England season keeps the leaf peepers rolling in every fall and the Connecticut River packed every summer (speaking of seasons – where the F is winter this year, Hanover?!?!?!).

For me, Dartmouth is truly one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, and I wouldn’t want to call anywhere else home during my college experience. Whether it’s the new gleam the Green has in the springtime or Baker-Berry standing tall in front of a cotton candy sunset, the view from here surely does not disappoint. So, to celebrate clinching our third place victory, we asked Dartmouth students to share their personal favorite places on campus, in their own photos and words!

Dartmouth Hall

Photo by Josh Renaud, ’17

“I try to focus on creating content that captures the spirit of Dartmouth College and represents the diversity of experiences possible on such an engaging campus.”

The Gile Fire Tower

Photo by Katie Jarrett, ’16

“I took this photo in October when I went for a hike to the Gile fire tower with a few friends. We were expecting to just get a great view of the peak fall foliage here in Hanover, but actually experienced the first bit of snow for the year.”

Baker-Berry Library 

Photo by Ally Brodsky, ’17

“I took this picture last spring over Green Key. I’d been dancing on SAE’s lawn with friends, but I happened to look up for a minute while under the tree. So beautiful!”

The Dartmouth Organic Farm 

Photo by Allison Chou, ’17

“I took this when my sorority went to the Dartmouth Organic Farm over sophomore summer during golden hour to make pizzas from scratch, and everyone was just buzzing with content.”

Drones-Eye-View of Campus

Photo by Tara Roudi, ’15

“I took this picture with my drone in the dead of winter, 2015. It was actually so cold my drone almost didn’t take off!”

The Top of the HOP

Photo by Cecilia Torres, ’18

“This is at the top of the HOP and I love to work up there during the spring because it’s not a well known spot, so I can usually go up there and write and read while enjoying the nice spring days. Also, I couldn’t concentrate this day so I decided to take a fire insta instead.”

Occum Pond

Photo by Christyn Karol, ’17

“I love winter activities, and of skating I am fond 

My favorite place to skate, of course, is Occum Pond 

Skating is so fun, always exciting, never lame 

It can be even better, if you join in a hockey game”

FOCO (Class of 1953 Commons) 

Photo by Eleni Tebano, ’17

“I think I took this picture coming from the library after studying, so I was probably just appreciating the fact that I got to see the sunset. I definitely liked that the clouds and the colors spread out from one point that was created between the trees and FOCO.”

Sanborn Library 

Photo by Kat Spillane, ’15

“Sanborn was my happy place while I was at school. It offered an escape from the bustling 10 week terms with its study enclaves, its history laden rooms and secret passageways, and its peaceful and quiet ambiance. All of these things remind you of just how lucky you are to be a student and I personally was always filled with a sense of awe.”

The Green – Homecoming Style 

Photo by Alyssa Jorgensen, ’17

“Homecoming is my favorite tradition at Dartmouth. The Green is packed with Dartmouth spirit and smiles. Unfortunately, I couldn’t capture someone touching the fire!”

The View from the Bell Tower

Photo by Paul Ghazal, ’17

“I took this picture during Green Key of my sophomore year. Being up on Baker Tower and taking in all the views of our campus and the landscape beyond really is a nice reminder of how stunning and special Dartmouth is.”

The VAC (The Black Family Visual Arts Center)

Photo by Karen Chaw, ’17

“This picture was taken using a feature on my phone’s camera that allows me to create ‘a tiny planet’ from a panoramic picture I take. In this picture you can see the VAC, the back entrance to the Hop and the Lodge. I like this picture a lot because it shows a side of campus that not a lot of people get to see on a daily basis like I did when I lived in the Lodge last year.”

The Connecticut River 

Photo by Lily Gordon, ’16

“One of the best parts of warmer weather in Hanover is being on the river. Whether you’re swimming, canoeing, or paddle boarding it’s a great way to hang out with friends and get some fresh air.”

Baker-Berry Library, Round 2

Photo by Chris Burkholder, ’17

“I felt like this really captured the beauty of how everyone here perceives this school, and how I always imagined my college experience looking like.”

Dartmouth