Dear Hunter students, we will endure Trump together

We’re too woke for this

Dear Hunter College students,

There are two things I love and appreciate about our school.

First, it is our student body’s incredible diversity. Growing up in a small suburban town, coming to Hunter immersed me in cultures that I had never even known of. Living in the city has opened my eyes to a vast array of lifestyles and ideas and perspectives. In other words, I feel pretty woke. I hear what you say in class and on social media and I absorb it. It shapes who I am, and for that I am extremely grateful.

Second, I have the utmost respect for the hustle of an everyday Hunter College student. Any given Hunter student juggles school with work or internships or clubs or sports – or even some extreme combination of them all. Hunter students are a microcosm of the city. We are constantly on the move and find a way to get it all done every day. It is of small notice when you are entrenched in it day in and day out, but it is an unusual accomplishment to carry as much as a Hunter students carries.

And with these two qualities of the Hunter College student body, I am confident we will weather the uncertainty to come with the presidency of Donald Trump.

I see your frustrations and worries. This school is too diverse (and too woke) to understand how Trump stunned the polls.

We are privileged to live in a progressive city that values our differences. We hear them in each other. We embrace them.

Other parts of the country do not share these privileges. The uneducated voters were the unexpected, game-changing demographic at the polls on Election Day. They do no represent the same values I see in so many Hunter students.

But that is why now, more than ever, it is so important to raise your voice. Share your stories. The Tab Hunter is a means of doing that. Find solidarity in the identities you embrace. Educate others on what is really going on. Take action.

We will get through this. We will grow from this because it will be our future to polish during, and after, Trump’s presidency.

Let’s get to work.

Sincerely,
Your campus editor

Hunter College CUNY Hunter election Hunter Hunter College NYC The Tab The Tab Hunter Trump