All the stereotypical types of roommates you’ll be (not so) lucky to have at CU Boulder

‘The stoner’ is a given

CU Boulder’s large student population can come with its perks. Trying to avoid someone? Easy. However, the large campus represents all types of people, which is why random roommates can be a hit (or miss).

The stoner

The classic Boulder stereotype. On random weekdays after your 2pm class, a certain smell will reek throughout your entire hall. Your RA asks you why your hallway smells like a skunk, and you act confused. Truthfully, you (and all of your hallmates) know the culprit is your roommate.

The quiet one

Despite the fact that they have an 8am every Friday, you do not hear a single peep in the morning. Your main form of communication is a quick smile when you come home from class. Your room is usually silent and occasionally awkward, but it is definitely better than a loud roommate.

The messy one

“I’ll take out the trash tomorrow” is said at least three times a week as they head out for class. There is usually a dish encrusted with food on their desk at all times. And you are the one who ends up taking out the trash for the whole year because it is too awkward to confront them about it.

The one with a boyfriend

Also known as the forced triple. Sure, he’s nice, but having to change in the bathroom is not exactly ideal. Why is she never in his dorm? Does he even go here? Probably not.

The acquaintance

Conversations usually consist of who is getting the next Swiffer, where the vacuum is, and asking to turn off the lights at night. You get along well, the roommate situation works, but not close enough for any inside jokes or lunch dates.

The passive aggressive one

Really enjoys leaving notes to close the window at night and sending texts to stop deadbolting the door, but will put on headphones once you enter the room. Usually a highly frustrating situation, but also slightly funny. Your “Hey” will usually get ignored, so you decide to continue leaving the window open at night.

The best friend

You were initially scared when you got the email of an assigned roommate, but by the end of first semester you guys stay up talking till 2am. Sure, it was awkward when they did not know how to correctly pronounce your name for the first month of school, but now you guys do not know how you lived without each other.

While having a randomly assigned roommate can go downhill pretty quickly, with the diverse student population at CU, you are always in for a surprise.

University of Colorado Boulder