All the lovably annoying things you’ll miss about Boulder over break

How much does it cost to change a flight again?

Winter break is fast approaching, but so are finals. While a month long break is not something to take for granted, there are many lovably annoying things that will make you want to schedule a flight back sooner to campus than you thought.

Your roommate

You know, the one who you talk about possible future endeavors if you fail out of school together. The one you spend every second with, so you get slightly excited to go home and finally have a room alone. And when you’re finally home and in your queen-sized mattress, you ask your roommate what her favorite frat to tailgate at is and nobody responds. That’s when you book your flight back to school a little bit sooner than expected.

Greasy late night food

It’s not the greatest feeling in the morning, but it was absolutely necessary to go to Bova’s and eat a Brandon and Dorito’s. Finally you’ll be in the comforts of your own home where you know your fridge is only stocked with your sister’s juice cleanse and leftover brown rice, so there’s no room for temptation. However, when your stomach starts grumbling at 2am, a one pound burrito from Illegal Pete’s sounds like the only thing to end your hunger.

Being forced to socialize

Crawling into bed after an impossible math test sounds like the only thing that will cure your stress, but upon walking into your room, three of your friends are sitting on your bed picking out your outfit for the night. You sigh, putting on the too tight tank top even though you are bloated from stress eating, and roll your eyes at the thought of dancing on an elevated surface. Two weeks into break though, a late night conversation with your two best friends is the only thing that will put you to sleep.

Snow storms

Sure, slipping on black ice is not the most graceful move in front of your crush, but making snow angels with your friends at midnight is one of our fondest memories at college. On the other hand, it is not so great when the snow storm is enough to cancel your flight home.

Lack of a car

Blasting the radio to Target sounds like the perfect stress reliever, except you are too awkward to ask the Uber driver. Upon two days of being home for break, you get a speeding ticket and remember how much buying gas sucks. Maybe Ubering everywhere is the better move.

Awkward run-ins

While wearing a teal tracksuit getting a giant slice of Cosmo’s at 4pm, you run into someone whom you’d rather not see you looking like that. Multiple “sos” texts are sent to the group chat with no response, so you scurry up The Hill back to your room and anxiously shove the slice of pizza down your throat. While this is not the most ideal situation, they do cause for a good laugh, and happen very rarely at home.

Your annoying neighbors

You roll your eyes while getting into bed every Tuesday knowing your neighbors are going to play “Closer” four times before they celebrate Tequila Tuesday. However, halfway into the semester, their constant noise has become a good filter to go to sleep to, and every creek at home sounds like an intruder now.

Your friends

The group of seven that you spend every waking minute with, whether you’re doing homework (rarely), or simply sitting and pondering your life choices while eating your fourth bowl of cereal. The day has finally come where you can sit in your own bed at home and watch reality tv without hearing a comment every minute, and you find yourself texting your group chat asking what they thought about the Real Housewives reunion. I guess their comments really are necessary.

Your home away from home

The place that you dread going back to because that means hours spent in Norlin, and stress eating at least twice a week. Also the place where your bed is small enough so you can hibernate in it without being seen, and your friends are a two minute walk away.

While the stress of finals has been a burden to almost every student on campus, the minute you leave campus is the minute you text your parents asking to come back just a few days early to “settle in before classes.”

University of Colorado Boulder