‘Creepy clown sightings’ around Cornell are freaking everyone out

The rumors have arrived in Ithaca

At this point we’ve all heard about the fact that our worst nightmare is coming true. Clowns have been creepily popping up all over the country to terrorize people. Even if clowns weren’t on of your list of biggest fears, pretty sure they may be now.

Apparently today, this nightmare spread to our lovely little town of Ithaca. Tweets reported a clown sighting by the woods near Ithaca College. Naturally, people are spreading the word and getting in on the action of breaking the news that the clowns are plaguing Ithaca.

And, of course, the mass hysteria continues to rise. Makes sense, with all the pictures and proof we’ve seen of these clowns by IC. Oh, wait…

Clown sightings in New York State

It’s important to note these sightings have produced no pictures of the clown seen by the wood line, and this is not the only time that clown sightings have been called out with little or no picture proof of these creepy clowns.

It’s hard to not get caught up in the hype of it all and jump on the bandwagon to share your most recent [real or fake] clown sighting! The New York Times explained the low risk of being exposed as a fraud, coupled with the immense benefit of the national attention, makes it all the more appealing to be the next boy who cried clown.

You know, one of the classic “I have a friend of a friend who knows someone, who has a friend that heard from another person that there was a clown in the woods”. This is national news. It catches everyone’s attention.

Prior to this craze, if you saw the word clown in a headline, you may or may not read on. Yet now, “clown” is like gold — that’s in a headline and near you? Odds are, people will feel inclined to read it and spread the word.

Cornell