The best places to cry on Cornell’s campus

The 162nd thing to do at Cornell is cry everywhere

Finals.

It’s a quite beautiful time of year, in a way. It’s the only time that all Cornell students, regardless of departments and colleges, can bond over mutual suffering. Sure, everyone has prelims, papers and projects. But once finals roll around, students become a special kind of miserable. We’ve just returned from Thanksgiving break. We were reminded of what it feels like to relax at home with no responsibilities. And as soon as we adjusted to life back home, we were hurled back into college life and forced to undergo numerous cumulative exams that would dictate our final grades.

It’s depressing, I know.

Sometimes, when your emotions get the best of you and the Cornell pressure gets to be too intense, it’s best to let it all out. Through tears. Lots and lots of tears.

When the time comes, here are the best places to cry on Cornell’s campus.

Olin Library, Stacks

Why? So many reasons.The stacks are much more private than the rest of the crowded library. If you’re a shy crier, the way the desks are arranged make it difficult for others in the library to see your tears. The large amount of desk space and shelves means you have lots of room to sit a box of tissues or two. Plus, why have sex in the stacks when you can sob in the stacks?

The Glasky Teaming Area in Human Ecology

Why? Do I even need to explain this one? Look at that cozy red chair. Not only does this area add comfort and style to your crying time, but you’ll also have a scenic view of the woods behind MVR. As you peer out the window through watery eyes, you will feel as though you’re the main character in a top-rated Netflix drama.

TCAT Bus Stop

Why? This option is a little more…transparent than the others, but you should use that to your advantage. The bus stop shelter will provide you with a sense of protection. It’s like you’re a little kid again, curled up in your twin size bed where no one can hurt you. Only it’s a bench.

Don’t worry what anyone else thinks of you sobbing outdoors. Assert your dominance by showing that you are brave enough to show emotions. Others will be intimidated, flunk their finals, and the curve will forever be in your favor.

Minn’s Garden, outside of Plant Science

Why? The environment is a perfect reflection of your feelings. Because of the season, everything in the garden right now is either dead, dying, or will die soon. Much like your GPA. Kidding. But this is a really nice place to be one with nature and let it all out. It’s outdoors, so you’ll get a nice breeze every now and then to blow your tears away.

Uris Library, Cocktail lounge, Room 4B02

Why? The selling point of this room is that it can be reserved. Feeling like you need a good cry but want to save it for later? Live in a double, triple, or even quad and need a place to cry in private? Log onto olinurislibrary.com and reserve a study room! This way, you don’t have to worry about anyone walking in on you mid-cry and making you relocate. You can have the room all to yourself for two hours! You also get a neat white board that you can use to try to figure out where your grades took a turn for the worst.

Not pictured: The practice rooms in Lincoln Hall. The rooms are soundproof. Enough said.

Now you are well on your way to majoring in tears at Cornell University. That being said, don’t let finals get you down! You deserve to be here. I’m crying just thinking about it. Good luck!

Cornell national-us