Bling, bling we got our ring: Three words that describe why Clemson is important to you

‘If you’re wearing orange, you’re family’

Yesterday, over 1300 students got the second best thing besides a diploma: the Clemson ring. One of most recognizable rings in the country, because of its famous “C” engulfing the student’s graduation year, the Clemson Ring Ceremony gives many students the key to the path of graduation proving Clemson puts a little hint of tradition in everything that they do.

On the side of every Clemson ring is the motto, “Who shall separate us now?” The answer to that question: no one. There truly is something in these hills. The Clemson ring is more than just a ring, so we asked Clemson students, “What three words describe why Clemson is important to you?”

Emory Burns, Junior, Chemistry major, Greer, SC

“Connected, thankful, challenged:

“I feel a connection to Clemson students before me and to my fellow Clemson students. I am incredibly thankful that I am able to go to this school. I feel compelled to go out and represent this school well. You hear so much about how Clemson alumni stand out and I want to make sure that we continue to be thought of in that positive way.”

Rachel Cook, Junior, Biological Science, Lake City, SC

“Exhilarating, passionate, home:

“There’s no feeling quite like a moment in Death Valley when over 80,000 fans with linked arms wave their right hand to “That the Tiger’s roar may echo; O’er the mountain height” after a win. Clemson is a place where tradition runs deep and our blood truly does run orange. Joe Sherman said it best with “There’s something in these hills – something that makes a man or a woman stand taller, feel better and say with a high pride to all within earshot, ‘I went to Clemson.'”

“You won’t find a more passionate student body or alumni than those who have had the privilege to go to Clemson. I learned when I came to Clemson that “family” no longer means only those on your family tree. I’ve met friends here that I’d give anything for and I know they would do the same.”

Ken Parker, Junior, Biological Sciences, Lake City, SC

“Exceptional, family, tradition:

“Our name is found constantly throughout top national rankings. We are ranked in the Top 25 nationally among public universities and are indisputably the top institution in the state of South Carolina. What is most impressive to me is that we rank #3 in the nation in students who love their college and #7 in student happiness.

“For a Tier 1 research institute to have that level of enjoyment from its students shows what an incredible place this is. Our campus does not simply reside in the town of Clemson; our campus is the town of Clemson. The small college town atmosphere here is second to none. Faculty members care about you and want to see you reach your full potential. You never feel like an outsider. If you’re wearing orange, you’re family.

“I think that Clemson traditions are what set us apart from any other university in the country. There is nothing like watching the Tigers shake the southland as they rub Howard’s Rock and run down The Hill to the sound of “Tiger Rag.” These traditions are what bring and keep the Clemson family together.”

Trey Price, Senior, Language and International Trade, Mount Pleasant, SC

“Family, tradition, legacy:

“My Clemson ring signifies the continuation of my family’s Clemson legacy. My grandfather went to Clemson when it was a military school and told me all about Clemson before I went. My mom floated the idea of having the ring passed down and since he didn’t wear it due to his job at the shipyard. It was well preserved and he thought it would be cool to do, so we went ahead and did it.”

Ronni Turnbull, Senior, Civil Engineering, Ladson, SC

“Work, strengthening, blessing:

“College is hard work. The work you put in is what will portray the things you get out of your degree. No one said college would be a walk in the park. No one in my family has been to college so being the first person to go it has strengthened my ability to perform and do my best, not only for my family, but also for myself.

“I have proved to myself at Clemson that I am capable of doing anything I set my mind to. Clemson has been a blessing in my life because it has opened so many doors for my future. It has provided me with many lasting friendships as well that I will treasure for a lifetime.”

Allyson Walters, Junior, Nursing, Florence, SC

“Unforgettable, transforming, home:

“My best memories have come from Clemson. I’ve met my very best friends here and created bonds that will last for a lifetime. College has taught me a lot about who I am and what I care about. There have been times that this has been frustrating to me, but through facing trials and challenges I have learned a lot about what I can handle and myself.

“From the moment I walked on campus to today, I knew this was where I was supposed to be. From the caring faculty to the multiple resources to the numerous smiling faces, there is a community and place for everyone. There really is something in these hills.”

Tori Young, Junior, Secondary Education, Greer, SC

“Sacrifice, dedication, fulfilling:

“A lot of people gave up time, money, and personal desires for me to pursue my dreams here at Clemson. This is not a place you just slide by at. Clemson has hardworking and determined people working towards their goals. I never saw the friendships and passions that would come out of my time here, and they are something that I will forever hold dear.”

Clemson University