Shawn Johnson is speaking at Bucknell

Don’t miss your chance to see her this Thursday

This Thursday, March 23, Bucknell has the privilege of welcoming Olympic gold-winning gymnast, Shawn Johnson, as a speaker.  This event, presented by the Student Lectureship Committee, will be held in the Weis Center at 7pm, with doors opening at 6pm.  Tickets for students can be purchased on the 22nd and 23rd in the Wes Center Box Office and the CAP Box Office from 10am to 4pm.

Shawn Johnson is renowned for her impressive career as a gymnast.  She began taking lessons at the ripe age of three, and by sixteen was a member of the U.S. senior team.  In her first year on the team she won four gold medals in the Pan American Games and won the all-around at the U.S. National Championships.  She again won the all-around title in 2008 and earned a spot on the U.S. Olympic gymnastics team, where she went on to win the silver medals in the individual all-around competition and in floor exercise, and the gold medal on the balance beam.  Throughout her career Johnson also received several honors for her athletic accomplishments, such as the esteemed James E. Sullivan Award.  She retired as a gymnast in 2012 due to a knee injury.

Johnson has also had a wide range of accomplishments outside of her gymnast career.  She was the 2009 winner of ABC’s Dancing with the Stars.  She is also an entrepreneur, best-selling author, and partakes in various philanthropic work.

Shawn Johnson has led an amazing life so far, and is only twenty-five.  Listening to her speak is certainly an opportunity you don’t want to miss.

Bucknell University Hide Images