Bucknell students organize ‘Day of Action’ in support of national ‘Strike4Democracy’

They’re encouraging professors to cancel class

In partaking in the national Strike4Democracy, the Bucknell Alternative Delegation (BAD) group of students are organizing a “Day of Action” to occur on February 17th.

The event’s Facebook page says:

“We are calling on ALL Students, Faculty, Staff, and Community Members to reaffirm the core values of this university and Lewisburg area which are being threatened by the current administration.

We affirm the importance and validity of SCIENCE.
We affirm WOMEN’S AUTONOMY over their bodies – for CHOICE and against ASSAULT.
We affirm the importance of VERIFIABLE over ‘alternative’ FACTS .
We affirm the university as a site of CRITICAL THINKING.
We affirm our duty to save our PLANET.
We affirm the importance of a DEMOCRATIC SOCIETY.
We affirm the right of humans with diverse backgrounds and orientations, especially those targeted, to live and learn as EQUALS on THEIR campus.

No Work, No Regular Classes, No Buying
No Business as Usual. See you on the Quad!”

Bucknell students partaking in a recent walkout

The day’s activities include two sessions of teach-ins, a “funeral procession for science,” a “cook-out for gender de-segregation” and open-mic, a rally on the quad, and the opportunity to contact your state representative.

The list of teach-ins available can be viewed here.

The Day of Action follows BAD’s organization of a walkout in protest of President Trump’s immigration ban and of an open forum discussing the group’s list of demands for Bucknell.

The Office of Civic Engagement has come out in support of the Day of Action in an email to all of campus, saying:

“The staff of the Office of Civic Engagement and members of the Service-Learning Advisory Board support staff, faculty and student participation in the Strike4Democracy/Day of Action planned for Friday, February 17.  We acknowledge the administration’s focus on developing and implementing a Diversity Action Plan, the progress that has been made to advance cultural awareness, and the renewed dedication to promoting a safe campus that allows all here to live, work, learn and grow free from discrimination. “

More details to follow.

Bucknell University