Christina Hoff Sommers, the ‘Factual Feminist,’ to speak at Bucknell

She claims ‘Men are the privileged sex’ is a myth

Her pinned tweet is “Want to close [the] wage gap? Step one: Change your major from feminist dance therapy to electrical engineering. #NationalOffendACollegeStudentDay.” She published an article for TIME magazine claiming that both the statements that “One in five in college women will be sexually assaulted” and “Men are the privileged sex” are myths.

And if that’s not enough? She’s friends with Milo Yiannopoulos.

Meet Christina Hoff Sommers, a former philosophy professor, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and author, who will be speaking on campus on February 9th in the Trout Auditorium at 7pm.

Much of Sommers’ writing seems to be about de-bunking myths of and criticizing current feminism. In an article entitled “How to make feminism great again,” she writes, her sources included:

“Feminism is drowning in myth-information. Advocates never tire of telling us that women are cheated out of nearly a quarter of their salary; that one in four college women is sexually assaulted, or that women are facing an epidemic of online abuse and violence. Such claims are hugely distorted, but they have been repeated so often that they have taken on the aura of truth. Workplace discrimination, sexual assault and online threats are genuine problems, but to solve them women need sober analysis, not hype and spin. Exaggerated claims and crying wolf discredit good causes and send scarce resources in the wrong direction. Today’s women’s movement also needs to reckon with the fact that men struggle just as much as women.”

Sommers is the host of a YouTube series, entitled The Factual Feminist, in which she discusses issues of feminism ranging from gender neutral toys to campus political climates.

In her video to guide college students on gender politics on campus, she says:

“As an incoming freshman, many of you will be subject to special training sessions and introduced to a new vocabulary with odd terms like ‘trigger warnings,’ ‘othering,’ ‘microaggression,’ ‘male privilege,’ and ‘safe spaces.’ Outside Speakers, especially comedians, will be called out and boycotted for breaches of sensitivity. Colleges are changing their mission: Truth seeking is being replaced by the more sensitive goal of making everyone, especially female students, feel safe and validated. Ideas that get in the way of this mission may not tolerated.”

According to the Facebook event, created by the Bucknell University Conservatives Club, Sommers will be speaking about “the recent Women’s March on Washington, DC, and her version of ‘equality feminism.'”

Tom Ciccotta, senior, economics, who was part of the group that invited Sommers, said in regards to the event:

“Christina Hoff Sommers is a scholar who approaches feminism and political correctness in a way that is considered unacceptable on many college campuses. It is exactly this reason why it’s important that Bucknellians hear her perspective this Thursday.”

The event is being live streamed here on Facebook.

Bucknell University