An honest tour of Bucknell’s campus

Why Bucknellians really love these campus hotspots

We all remember our first tours of campus on Accepted Students day, or maybe even a few tours earlier than that. There are several “hubs” on our campus that the tours love to show off, but now that we’re full time students at Bucknell, we’ve come to love them for their own special reasons, not always featured on the tours.

Here are a few of the best hits on campus and why Bucknellians really love them:

Rooke Auditorium

This is the room that will appear in your nightmares after taking Orgo 1 and 2. Or any chemistry class, ever. Its cousin is in Olin, and appears in the nightmares of biology students. People reminisce fondly of their exams there, where long-lasting friendships were made over tears and coffee during exam season.

#Neverforget

The Caf

Two words: caf sits. One more word: Cafsgiving. How many of us have bonded over the terror and rush of Cafsgiving? There’s really no feeling like helping yourself to your third piece of pie, even though you were 100% full three meals ago with the stuffing. Also, the late-night breakfast sandwiches are amazing.

The KLARC

It’s got fitness classes. It’s got a swimming pool. It’s got a sauna. It’s got tons of machines. The KLARC is a huge asset to our campus, and many Bucknellians capitalize on this by going there many times during the week to work out. However, if you are going there to work out, make sure you don’t get there between 2-5 pm. That’s when everyone else on campus shows up.

Try your best to get there before the 2-5 pm rush

Also, if you are a woman and you enter the practically-men-only free weight room upstairs, you might feel some gazes on your ass, feel uncomfortable, and leave. If you don’t, though, all the power to you. Keep slaying.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

The Quad/Malesardi Quad

It’s the symbol of Bucknell. Legit, no other part of campus has been photographed as much. At least, I’m very convinced that this is the case. While it’s beautiful in the fall, summer, and spring, beware in the winter: there’s black ice everywhere, and the nicest part of campus quickly turns into your enemy as it waits to make you slip and fall.

it’s just waiting to trip you up

It’s also a great part of campus, because of the sunsets. They appear on many a Bucknellian’s Instagram accounts. 

Truly Insta-worthy

Academic West

This building is really beautiful, and has some awesome classrooms and study spaces. However, before the classrooms were locked to spare the building’s dignity, this place was known for people often having encounters on the tables in the classrooms, if you know what I mean.

The snazz factor is unprecedented

Additionally, finals time will see half of campus flocking up to this building and taking an entire classroom for themselves. You’ll likely have to wake up before the sun rises if you want a study room during finals.

Just study in the hallway, that’s the best you’ll get

The lib/Bertrand

There are so many resources/staff/student help here that can assist you with research papers, plus plenty of places to study if you like to socialize or work quietly. However, if you’re on the quiet floor (the second floor), and trying to do work, there will probably be at least one group of people talking. In my experience, I’ve noticed that they’re sorority girls and they’re often excitedly discussing the mixer that’s 1) coming up or 2) just happened.

The quiet floor

They never, ever leave.

Weis Center

This building is absolutely beautiful and many talks and concerts are held here during the year. Also, a relatively unknown gem is the Recital Hall, where many intimate piano concerts are held. Most people remember it for the speakers, however: like Bill Nye and more recently, Anderson Cooper. Also, Shawn Johnson is coming in March. The Speaker Series is totally lit this year.

The Commons/MacDonald Commons

These buildings were finished just over a year ago. They’re all accommodated for disabilities, and the apartments are reserved for seniors. The fact that the apartments are accessible is incredible, because that’s been a big problem on our campus. Also, the food at the Commons is cheaper than the Bison, and there tend to be less people there. It’s definitely worth a trip.

10/10 would recommend

Fraternity Row 

It’s where all of the parties happen. Enough said.

7th Street Cafe 

This place has great coffee and breakfast options, plus lots of seating so that students can do work. Although, it’s really difficult to find booths to do work, you have to get there pretty early in the morning or later in the afternoon, when people are in class. Or, you luck out and someone is leaving as you enter. Also, a tip: do not get your coffee ten minutes before class. There’s always a huge line of people waiting, and unless your class is in Smith or the Art Building, you’ll probably be late.

Caught it during a lull

The Bison 

Upperclassmen mostly eat here, there are a good number of options and the service is pretty quick. Unless it’s rush hour, then it takes a bit longer. It’s also kind of difficult to eat healthy at the Bison. If you’re trying to stay on the healthy side, the most affordable option seems to be simple breakfast foods or Bada Basil. The smoothies and yogurt bowls are really good, but they’re mad expensive.

Pretty self-explanatory

These are only a few of the big hubs on campus. There are so many quiet areas that are great for studying and relaxing. If you haven’t been to one of these places yet, definitely go.

A few honorable mentions are: Carnegie, Roberts, Willard Smith Library in Vaughan Lit, the Grove, and the launch.

With a campus like this, it’s pretty difficult not to drown in the school spirit.

Never have I worn that much orange and blue

Bucknell University