How much it actually costs to miss a class at Bucknell

Guess how many Nacho Tots from the Flyson one class could buy you?

With the new semester about to start, you’re swearing to yourself you won’t skip anymore classes. Last semester, you stayed up through the night to reteach yourself the whole course, and the exam still sucked. This semester, reconsider your tactics, because each time you skipped a lecture, you not only missed out on valuable information that probably showed up on one of your exams, but you also wasted a lot of money. Here’s the math to show you how much it costs you to skip each of your classes this semester.

Tuition at Bucknell, according to the finance office, for the 2016-2017 academic year was exactly $51,676. For an average four-course semester, each one-credit course cost you $6,259.50. For an average lecture, one hour long, three times a week, you lost $165.63 every time you skipped a class.

In other words, here’s what you could’ve bought with the equivalent of one class at Bucknell:

82 loads of laundry

Just sitting in clothes with no money to clean them

This could cover you for the first three years of college if you do laundry once a week. It could cover you for all four if you’re a real college student, though.

82 bottomless cups of coffee at 7th Street

Gotta stay up late making up those classes

Not only can you try every flavor, you can try every flavor 82 times. There’s really no such thing as too much coffee.

14 Chocolate Reindeers from Purity candy shop

'Tis the season

‘Tis the season

It doesn’t have to be all reindeer. You can get some nutcrackers and dreidels if you want, too. Any fun-shaped chocolate is acceptable.

Three individual LL Bean Boots

Not three pairs, just three individual boots

It’s the only way to be a Bucknellian. Maybe you can wear one on your arm and be extra Bucknell. Get three different colors. Go crazy.

16 Rasta Burgers from Caribbean Connection

img_6142

Now I’m hungry

Truly the most delicious meal Lewisburg has to offer. One or more a week is definitely worth the missed class. You’ll even have enough money left for an order of tostones.

66 Nacho Tots from the Flyson

What more could you want?

What more could you want?

This one works for pretty much anything from the Flyson. One lecture is equivalent to Flyson every Wednesday night for 5 semesters.

Two dorm key replacements 

For all those inevitable times you lose your key

Make sure you have a place to hide from reality. You can fall asleep in the library, but only the comfort your room will convince you that Netflix makes more sense than studying. Maybe now you can forget about the classes you missed.

Six copies of Loving Day

If any first years remember this book from orientation, they probably don’t want another five copies. Even the ones who liked it don’t need another five copies. Let’s just move on.

Two dogs

Could he be any fluffier?

Could he be any fluffier?

With an average adoption fee of $75, you could get two best friends for the price of one lecture. That’s, of course, assuming they don’t need to eat.

Next semester, when you’re thinking of skipping class, just remember the value of all these things. Every time you skip class, you throw one away. Unless you wanna just stop going to college and get all these things instead. That’s fine too.

Bucknell University