What Bucknell students think about the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show

They aren’t feeling too empowered

Tonight, the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show aired. The angels strut the runway in lacy lingerie beneath romantic Parisian lights and the $20 million dollar fashion show racked up millions of views, as usual. The show is a glamorous event to flaunt not only luxury underwear, but beautiful Victoria’s Secret models or “Angels.” This year performers Lady Gaga, The Weeknd, and Bruno Mars sang while the models walked.

But, beneath the glaring, glitzy lights, sexy lingerie, and famous singers, there’s a lot more to be said about the show.

Here’s what Bucknell students really thought about the seductive display of Victoria’s Secret underwear:

The models are not realistic

Ariana Fisher, sophomore, Anthropology:

“It’s trash. The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show’s models are not diverse ethnically or racially. The standards of beauty are too high and the company doesn’t represent different body types.” 

(Ouch, Victoria’s Secret!)

Instead of watching the show, student Emma Dreyer ate some cookies.

Sam Camden, first year, Economics & French:

“The models set an unrealistic expectation for girls and the people buying the lingerie never look like them. I stopped buying my bras and panties from them because of the standards the models are setting.” 

What the boys think

Even the boys can’t think of anything good to say about the show.

Robert Han, first year, Biology, spoke about the women walking around half naked:

“The fact they’re doing that is objectifying women.” 

Instead of watching the show, student Robert Han took snapchats.

But, not all people are educated about the show

Will Westbrook, freshman, Mechanical Engineering, said:

“It’s a clothing brand and there are probably models who wear clothing. That’s all I know. I don’t really have anything else to add.” 

And not everybody loves it

Although the VS show might be a huge multi-million dollar extravaganza, not all people are coming away with positive feelings after watching it. 

Instead of watching the show, student Olivia Harris watched a movie.

Joelle Andres-Beck, first year, Engineering, said:

“I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand it’s awesome for the fashion world. But, on the other hand, it’s based on totally unattainable visions of beauty. Everything they sell is, also, too expensive.” 

So what is the show really promoting?

Every time a TV is turned on to watch the magical show, Victoria’s Secret, a company that promotes unrealistic standards for women across the world, is being supported. The billion dollar business tells girls it’s normal to be 5’ 11” and 120 pounds, and its popularity on the rise.

It promotes the objectification of women and high standards of beauty.

Who watched tonight?

Bucknell University