Bucknell students disappointed with inadequate LGBTQ+ support

The Celebrate Difference photo is not enough

Diversity is difficult to come by on our campus. It’s clear to see that majority of Bucknellians are white, heterosexual, upper-middle class males and females and from PA, NJ, CT, and NY. Many students that fall outside of these norms feel uncomfortable on campus. Luckily, there are occasionally events to celebrate and support those in marginalized groups.

Today, the Celebrate Difference picture was taken in celebration of National Coming Out Day. A group of Bucknellians gather on the Rooke steps wearing rainbow-colored shirts to support the members of the LGBTQ+ community. While some might praise this as a great step toward inclusion, many students have qualms about what’s actually happening on campus.

We asked students partaking in the Celebrate Difference photo what they thought of diversity and inclusion on Bucknell’s campus, and if they thought Bucknell did enough to truly celebrate difference.

Stephen Mayer, 19, Environmental Studies and Economics double major

“No, I do not believe [Bucknell] does enough. I would like to see the administration start to take a more involved role in promoting this. Some administrators do, but others don’t. In the case of the photo, they show up late, don’t help advertise the event and don’t wear Celebrate Difference shirts beforehand and for the rest of the day.

“The same can be seen at events like the Solidarity March. The administration seems to not care… Sometimes they throw money at the events, but what would really make a difference and allow people like me to feel supported was if leaders in the administration (for instance) did a speech before the photo while wearing a bright pink Celebrate Difference shirt. Instead, they hide in the back or don’t show up. It’s like they’re embarrassed to be seen celebrating differences or like they don’t even care.”

Taylor Lyles, 21, Geology

“No, I don’t think Bucknell truly celebrates difference or National Coming Out Day. I’d like to see an outward show of support from administration for people within the LGBTQ+ community besides just showing up for a picture. I want people on campus to know that our administration stands behind the LGBTQ+ community.”

Morgan Muller, 19, Computer Engineering, and the head of the Gender & Sexuality Alliance

“I don’t consider this event to be something that ‘Bucknell’ puts on for National Coming Out Day.  This awesome show of support only happens through the hard work of Bill McCoy and some dedicated members of Bucknell’s LGBTQ+ community. All the administration has to do is throw money at us, and while I’m grateful for that, it’s not quite the hands-on effort I’d like to see. That being said, I do really appreciate the allies who come out for the photo every year. Those small displays of support do make a difference to LGBTQ+ people on campus, especially those who are questioning or are not out yet.

“I’d like to see more of an effort from administration, faculty, staff, and students who aren’t directly affiliated with the community to show their support by educating/training themselves on good allyship, aiding student attempts to make Bucknell more LGBTQ+ friendly, and actively listening to the voices of LGBTQ+ students. Eventually I hope that Bucknell will go beyond tolerance to the point where we really do celebrate difference.”

Taryn Urban, 20, Women’s & Gender Studies and Animal Behavior, and Secretary of the Gender & Sexuality Alliance

“I don’t believe that the administration does not do enough to recognize National Coming Out Day.  For instance, last year Bucknell’s official Facebook page shared the NCOD photo but referred to it as the “annual Celebrate Difference photo,” completely erasing the fact that it is organized in celebration of an LGBTQ+ holiday, and is put together by the Office of LGBTQ Resources and students in the Gender and Sexuality Alliance.  It felt as though Bucknell was using the photo to make themselves appear to be supportive of diversity, despite the fact that they weren’t involved in organizing the event, and have rarely been vocally supportive of queer and trans students.

“During my time here, I don’t believe I’ve ever heard Bravman address LGBTQ+ issues on campus, even after an incident of a specific threat against transgender students.  All of the work being done to make our campus more accepting and affirming of LGBTQ+ students has been done by students and the Office.  It’s about time the administration steps up and considers discrimination against queer and trans people to be an issue worth confronting.  First of all, the most powerful administrators need to start naming homophobia and transphobia as real problems on our campus.  From there, they need to follow through with policies and organized events that will support queer and trans members of the Bucknell community, rather than leaving all of the work to the students.”

Ariana Fisher, 19, Anthropology

“Bucknell does not take enough initiative past the ‘awareness’ phase of recognizing and understanding the struggles of the LGBTQ community at large.

“I think the greatest change on this campus can be moving toward an attitude of activism, instead of just awareness. Being in solidarity with the LGBTQ community, as well as attending other events such as the Trans* Remembrance Vigil, GSA meetings and related-Community Dinners is going to create that mobility that is much needed on Bucknell’s campus.”

The general consensus seems to be that our administration does not do enough for the members of the LGBTQ+ community, which needs to change. In addition, students can learn more by attending events that are hosted by the GSA and members of the LGBTQ+ community, while also learning more themselves on how to be good allies.

Hopefully we’ll see that change in the next academic year.

Bucknell University