Frenchie, the new French restaurant and wine bar

South End’s new gem

Are you bored of pubs and bars and tired of drinking dull, water-like beer or vinegar boxed wine? Go treat yourself at Frenchie. This restaurant and wine bar just opened in South End on January 24, and is already full of promise.

A trendy bistro

Let me tell you, I am French and could not be more charmed by the food and the wine at this restaurant. Frenchie has an elaborate, yet simple menu that will satisfy your taste buds by the quality and ingenuity of the dishes. You will be able to savor escargot garlic toasts, mussels with chorizo, drumstick coq au vin, beef bourguignon, plancha foie gras, steak tartare and more.

Photo by Lauren Hallion, courtesy of Frenchie.

I went for their daily special, the truffled mushroom toast, with a sunny side up egg, caramelized rainbow baby carrots and blood orange quarters. Frenchie comes up with original combinations that are as surprising as they are delicious.

Photo courtesy of Frenchie.

The main room is the ideal place to hang out with your friends. There are booths, and it has a very relaxed vibe. The back room includes a glass ceiling decorated with string lights and a vineyard. It is perfect for a cozier and romantic atmosphere.

Wine, cheese, or pastries?

The wine menu offers all types of wine. The menu will help guide you if you have no idea on how to pick the perfect wine for your meal, but the waiters are also ready to help you. I went for a glass of rich South Eastern Saint Emilion, which was recommended by the waiter. Later on, I had their daily special, Love Cocktail, which was a mix of Saint Emilion, crème de cassis, and Prosecco. It was simple, but refined and well-thought.

If you do not want to have a full meal, you can also get a wide panel of cheese and charcuterie to go with the wine.

Image by Lauren Hallion, courtesy of Frenchie.

Everyone will be satisfied. Frenchie offers a variety of bistro-sized desserts, like the lemon meringue pie with strawberry syrup, the chocolate cake, and the white chocolate and red fruits tiramisu.

The service is efficient, quick, and the waiters are ready to answer all the questions you have about the menu. Plus, many of the waiters are French, so it’s a great opportunity to practice the language!

A new approach to French cuisine

Sandrine Rossi, the owner of Frenchi, was born and raised in France. She studied business and environmental studies, and worked in China before going into the restaurant industry. In 2014, she moved to Boston.

“I always wanted to have a food business,” said Rossi. “At the end of 2015, I was considering opening a tea salon that would offer French pastries since I really miss this, here in Boston. I still think it is a great concept, but I also wanted to bring novelty to the way the French cuisine and culture is seen here. We try to reinvent traditional French dishes and break the pretentious aspect people often attach to wine. I wanted to create something more approachable.”

Rossi added that she coordinates the restaurant with French restaurateur Loic Le Garrec, who owns Le Petit Robert near the South End. Alex Falconer, the former executive chef of Joséphine in Kenmore, is the chef.

Frenchie is definitely the new place to be.

Feature image by Lauren Hallion, courtesy of Frenchie.

BU boston boston students boston university BU french cuisine frenchie south end wine