The dangers of the winter Allston crawl

Winter is coming

It’s impossible to go to Boston University without hearing about the infamous Allston crawl. Chances are, you’ve been forced to wander through Pratt or Ashford at least once in your life. The crawl isn’t completely tragic during the beginning of the school year because the weather is bearable, but once winter hits, it all goes downhill from there. For about 75 percent of the school year, the crawl is dangerous, and this is why.

No jacket

You decide not to bring a jacket because you’re constantly underestimating how long the walk is from West to Allston. You also fret about losing your coat because you’ve already had four other “frackets” stolen or lost in one of the various frats. You question your priorities and curse your entire existence while trudging through the snow in only a tank top and some jeans. You also wonder whether you’re getting hypothermia because there’s a definite possibility that you are.

Maybe I should bring a jacket

You’ve learned from your mistakes from the past weekend and decide to bring a jacket because it’s the “responsible” thing to do. You grab your old high school sweatshirt, shove all your belongings in it and embark on your journey. Don’t get me wrong, you’re definitely still cold. Next thing you know, it’s time to go back home for the night but your sweatshirt is nowhere to be found, meaning the wallet that contained your ID, T pass, license, room key and credit cards are also nowhere to be found. This all means that you have to go back to the frat the following day during daylight and search for your missing jacket, which is a whole other bizarre experience within itself.

Ruining your shoes exponentially more

Wearing the same sneakers every single time you go out is a must because you don’t want to be ruining every pair of shoes that you own. However, this can really take a toll on the warmth of your feet during the winter. It’s definitely not ok to be trudging through so much snow in 10 degree weather in a dirty pair of Vans. You’re going to ruin your shoes so much more and your toes will absolutely turn blue.

Uber-ing to maintain a healthy body temperature

It’s way below freezing, it’s snowing and you’re wearing a skirt and a crop top. If there was any time to take an uber, it’s now. Unfortunately, your wallet won’t be happy about this. You also won’t be happy when you and your friends don’t even fit in an Uber XL. You are forced to take two different Ubers, meaning you’re going to get separated. It isn’t fun when half of your friends get into a party and the other half is turned away at the door.

Let’s just walk

It’s still below freezing, it’s still snowing and you’re still wearing one of your many skirts and crop tops, but this time you decide to walk because you don’t want to get separated from all your pals. The skirt was immediately a bad decision, and you regret ever getting out of bed.

#Mixer szn

You spent an hour getting ready and you’re determined to make it a great night. You get sent a bunch of addresses and you’re giddy about all your options. You go up to the first house and get rejected because little did you know, there’s a mixer happening. It’s no big deal, you have two other addresses to fall back on. You go to the second house, and what do you know, there’s another mixer happening. You’re not feeling good about your chances at the third house and you regret not joining a sorority or fraternity.

Hair goals

You straightened or curled your hair in the beginning of the school year, so why should winter change that? You spend over thirty minutes perfecting those curls and it’s time to go. You heard it was supposed to snow, but didn’t think about the dire consequences it could have on your hair. By the time you reach the frat, your hair is soaked, frizzy, and you just want to throw out your curling iron all together because what’s even the point anymore?

Your iPhone will fail you

Yes, of course I’m team iPhone, but that doesn’t mean I don’t feel personally victimized by how much my phone battery hates me. iPhones and the cold do not mix very well, and this can lead to some pretty unfortunate situations. You need to call that Uber, but you can’t because your phone’s dead. You need to call in an order at T’s, but you can’t because your phone’s dead. You need to contact one of your friends to regroup, but you can’t because your phone’s dead. There seems to be a trend here.

All the sicknesses

Winter time means flu season, so obviously you’re going to be so sick that you forget what it’s like to be healthy. Your family tells you to take it easy and you kind of listen, but as soon as you feel a pinch better, you’re hitting up Allston. Walking through Allston, not dressed weather appropriately will do you in real fast, but you still wonder why you’re in Student Health Services every week.

Never knowing what to wear

What the heck does a person wear to a frat in the winter? You can’t wear a huge sweater and some fleece leggings because you’ll be covered in sweat once you’re actually in the frat. You feel conflicted about wearing a tank top or a dress because the walk there will make you want to die. You analyze your closet in agony because there’s just nothing to wear when two seconds ago you were complaining that your drawers were overflowing with all your stuff.

As treacherous as the Allston crawl can be, sometimes you just gotta take all these losses and persevere anyway. Even if you come close to suffering from severe hypothermia, you can still bounce back and make your night a great one.

BU allston allston crawl boston boston students boston university BU