Abortion opponents and pro-abortion protesters rally at Boston Planned Parenthood

‘Abortion right to every state’ vs ‘Defund Planned Parenthood’

Hundreds of abortion opponents and pro-abortion supporters rallied outside the Boston Planned Parenthood clinic Saturday morning, both holding graphic images and signs.

When Neil Grosuch became President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, it was immediately praised by abortion opponents and condemned by pro-abortion supporters.

Feb. 11, 2017- Taizjon Wallace, 21, of Roxbury, wears T-shirt with “Planned Parenthood” on it to show his support. (The Tab BU Photo/ Shijie Ye)

“We are showing our solidarity to Planned Parenthood. We are protesting against those who want to take away women’s right to choose, as well as basic health care,” said Taizjon Wallace, 21, one of the organizers of today’s pro-abortion protest.

“I believe that abortion is a basic human right, and women should have right to do what they choose to do with their bodies,” he added.

Many protestors from pro-abortion side were wearing “pussy hats,” which serve as a symbol of solidarity for the protestors. According to the Pussyhat Project website, the “pussy hat” stands for women’s rights and shows their strong refusal of being erased from political discussion. 

Feb. 11, 2017- W Laurie Ewer wears a “pussy hat” and holds her sign in the rally to support Planned Parenthood. (The Tab BU Photo/ Shijie Ye)

“There are lots of misinformation about Planned Parenthood, and most of what they do is not abortion,” said W. Laurie Ewer, of Somerville. “They do mammograms, STD testing and birth control. A very small percentage of what they do is abortion.”

“So the defunding of Planned Parenthood and expression of misinformation of it is ridiculous, ” Ewer added. “To defund [Planned Parenthood] means those millions of women, teens and young girls who already lost health care would have no place to go.”

But not everyone shared their opinions. The pro-life protesters prayed and held signs like “Planned Parenthood LIES to you”.

“Planned Parenthood is the biggest abortion provider in the United States, and I think people should raise the money themselves if they really support what they are doing,” said Karin Morin, of Dorchester. 

Feb. 11, 2017- Paul McGrath, 51, of Plymouth, holds his slogan in the rally to support the defunding of Planned Parenthood. (The Tab BU Photo/ Shijie Ye)

“I believe [abortion] is a murder,” said Paul McGrath, 51, of Plymouth, a member of 40 Days for Life, the largest internationally coordinated pro-life mobilization in history.

“I’m called by Jesus to love everyone, regardless of what their beliefs are, and I hope one day, [people who are pro-abortion] will understand the true fact of what they are doing,” McGrath added.

Feb. 11, 2017- Pro-life people holds signs to support defund Planned Parenthood. (The Tab BU Photo/ Shijie Ye)

Planned Parenthood, is an organization provides a wide range of health care services for women, including abortion. It receives more than $500 million a year from the federal government.

BU abortion boston boston common boston students boston university BU planned parenthood women