How to survive Thanksgiving at home

Please avoid high school parties

For many students, going home for Thanksgiving is an exciting time filled with family, friends, and food. This also means re-adjusting to life at home for a brief, yet still substantial, period of time.

Many Terriers often find themselves struggling to withstand their hometowns after being set free in Boston. Thankfully, there are some things you can do to help ease your transition back home.

Make plans with people you haven’t seen in a while

Possibly the worst part of going home is the potential reality of being left without plans. While your college friends may be the center of your universe, it’s always good to catch up with old friends.

The gossip of their school year mixed with your own will be enough to keep you busy for hours. The longer you’re busy, the less time you’ll spend cooped up in your living room watching Dr. Phil reruns with your mom (as fun as that may be).

Forget hometown beef

Even if you’re a freshman, you’ve been separated from your former classmates long enough to drop whatever drama went on in high school. Part of growing up is learning to either work out resolutions or become the better person. Either way, squashing old beef will make you significantly less stressed. It might even open up new opportunities for friendships and plans.

I think it’s time for us to make up

Stay away from high-school functions

If possible, stay away from high school parties at all costs. If you don’t and continue to hang around old underclassmen, you may be dubbed “the kid who peaked in high school.” Also, high schoolers do some  stupid stuff and you could get in trouble, especially if you’re 21 and drinking with under-aged kids.

That’s not to say you can’t attend a football game, see your old teammates, or grab coffee with your favorite freshman. You can do all of those things without looking like you’re clinging to your high school days.

Leave this in the past if possible

Stick to your schedule

If you have a set schedule that works for you at school, try and match that at home. It’ll keep you productive and make being home feel more like your regular life. Keep up with your hobbies and workouts too so you’re not stressing out about it when it’s time to go back to school.

Use this time to get ahead in school

Chances are, even though you don’t have class, you still have work due. And if you feel no desire to socialize or there is literally nothing to do in your hometown,  might as well get some work done. Don’t “accidentally” leave all your books at school. You’ll regret that when you’re bored as hell 36 hours into break.

this could BU after you get ahead in all of your classes

Use Black Friday to your advantage

There’s nothing better for a broke college student than ridiculous sales. With Christmas approaching, you should really take advantage of Black Friday if you don’t already. It takes some strategic planning, but it’s a fun way to get friends together other than sitting in a local coffee shop staring at each other.

You can get started on your holiday shopping without the stress of having to go to class. And you can leave all the presents at home so you don’t have to clutter up your less-than-spacious Claflin double.

Above everything else, try to sort of have fun some fun with your family. Chances are, they miss you a lot and just want to spend some time with you. Let your mom in on your school drama and brag to your grandma about your grades (even if you have to exaggerate).

I promise, you’ll get through it. Just keep an open mind, and maybe if you’re lucky you’ll go back to school with a few more dollars than you left with.

BU