‘We have no shortage of investigative capacity’: The University hasn’t been presented with the Title IX petition

They had sent an email

The university has responded to our media equirely regarding a petition criticising the vacancy of the Title IX office.

Brown said they had communicated to the students their plans for staff, and dismissed claims the university is not adequately staffed to investigate Title IX claims.

In full, Brian Clark, the University Spokesperson told The Tab:

On January 25, we communicated to the entire Brown community our plans for staffing the Title IX Office and reaffirmed our ongoing commitment to education and training on issues of sexual assault and the thorough, prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging violations of Brown’s policies related to Title IX.

That communication noted the roles that three full-time Brown staff members and one consultant would fill as an immediate search was launched for the university’s next Title IX program officer.

“It was sent following the departure of Amanda Walsh — though it’s not typical to publicize most personnel changes, the university often announces the departures of staff members who lead divisions and departments.

“In addition to the expertise that each of those staff members brings, we continue to work with independent Title IX investigators — we have no shortage of investigative capacity and expertise to call upon as needed.

“Finally, based on conversation today with a number of staff members, it appears that the university has not been presented with any petition.” 

Correction: An earlier version of this article said the university responded to the petition. The university, in fact, responded to our media enquirey about the petition. They have not yet been presented with the petition.

Brown University