Where you should eat this semester after Thayer’s surprising winter makeover

Here’s what you may have missed

The new semester always features changes to campus — new classes, new shower heads, and “new” Ratty renovations. In the the short five weeks we have been away, however, there has also been a number of changes to Thayer. Here is what you might have missed:

Adieu, Au Bon Pain!

What remains of Au Bon Pain

The permanent closing of Au Bon Pain on December 22 was an anticipated, but much reluctant farewell to our old friend on Thayer of 25 years. While ABP may not have been Starbucks or Blue State coffee, its iconic yellow sign, low-fat soups, discounted pastries, and casual atmosphere will be missed.

Skewers has closed, again

Although Skewers briefly closed last year around this time, it returned with a revamped menu that included Mexican and Mediterranean options. In the end, Mediterranean food favorite East Side Pockets has finally won. The residents of 229 Thayer have now shifted their focus to Mexican food by replacing Skewers with… another Baja’s?

Baja’s and Baja’s?

Bajas 2.0

Never again will you be too far from Baja’s. Whether you are coming from Pembroke, or coming from the Sci Li, Baja’s will be closer than Chipotle, which is now sandwiched between the two spots. While the new location presents itself as a “Taqueria” and not as a “Mexican Grill” like the original, having a second Baja’s that boasts additional seating still seems almost too good to be true.

Durk’s Bar-B-Q

Durk’s Bar-B-Q on 275 Thayer Street

The original Baja’s has a new neighbor. The smoker has replaced the shark tank. The ill-fated Shark Bar & Grille is now Durk’s Bar-B-Q, which is already off to a better start as it has received an average of 5 stars out of its 47 reviews.  Customers described the food as “delish”, “legit”, “?”, and “???,” but if you’re still unconvinced then maybe this review will help:

Customer review of Durk’s Bar-B-Q

Korean Fried Chicken

Jap chae from Den Den Café Asiana

From the owners of Den Den Café Asiana and Kungfu Tea comes Den Den Korean Fried Chicken. There have been many high expectations for the new KFC ever since Den Den Café Asiana temporary featured Korean Fried Chicken in 2015. The official opening date has been set for March 25 – in the meantime, we wait.

Cookies on College Hill

The current cookie radar forecast

The wait is finally over. Rhode Island will finally get its own Insomnia Cookies! Few people are willing to make the 39 mile trip to the nearest Insomnia Cookies in Boston, but the warm, delicious cookies will soon be only a short walk or delivery away!

Brown University