Every mistake Brown freshmen will make this year

How not to get roasted on Overheard at Brown

Freshman year is great. After you’ve adjusted to the craze of the first few weeks, you can really start to enjoy your newfound independence. However, you will probably make some mistakes on the way. Here are some of the most common mistakes that freshmen make.

Ordering a ‘Spicy With’ wrong

Every time I wait in line at Jo’s, at least one person orders a “spicy chicken sandwich with cheese” or, worse, a “Spicy With without cheese.” That’s the best way to end up getting roasted on Overheard at Brown.

That’s all you need to know as you stumble drunkenly into Jo’s this weekend. Say the two magic words, “Spicy With,” and you’ll blend right in with the seasoned upperclassmen in line.

Getting confused by meal plan terminology

Buds worker: “Credit and points?”

Freshman: “No, a meal swipe and a meal credit.”

This type of exchange is frequent during the time it takes first years to figure out Brown’s meal-plan. It’s easy to get confused, especially at places that accept both credits and points.

The key here is that meal swipes are the same as meal credits!

Going to the wrong building for class

First semester of freshman year, I had a class in J. Walter Wilson, otherwise known as 69 Brown St or even just as ‘the mailroom.’ Turns out I ended up sitting in a class in Wilson Hall for a few minutes, before realizing I was not in my sociology class.

It’s probably the most embarrassing mistake, just because of the looks you get when you leave five minutes into the professor’s lecture…

Never going to office hours

On a more serious note, this is probably the most overlooked mistake you can make. One of the great perks of being at Brown is the availability of professors. Go to office hours at least once, even if you don’t have a particular question. It’s a great way to make connections and enhance your experience.

Getting locked out of your room

While this will probably happen several times throughout your years at Brown, it seems to be more common among freshmen. Whether a cause of miscommunication between roommates who aren’t very close, or simply forgetting your keys, getting locked out is a rite of passage.

It’s never pleasant, especially when you urgently need something or when you find yourself sitting outside your door in a towel waiting for DPS to save you.

Trying to buy alcohol at Spiritus

College is a place to discover a new part of your identity, and for some, this process may start with buying a fake ID.

Even though it’s conveniently located, Spiritus is not the place you want to go to show off your new acquisition. It is said to be teaming with undercover cops and your ID may get taken or at least bent in half.

Unless you want to appear in court, find another place to go.

Using up all your points at the Blue Room

Between the delicious breakfast sandwiches, the amazing muffins and cookies, and all the other wonders of the Blue Room, it’s easy to get swipe-happy and end up with almost no points left in the course of the year.

Trust me, it sucks, so use those precious points in moderation, especially if you’re on the 20 meals per week plan.

Staying in the Brown Bubble

Freshmen eat, sleep, study, party, work out and relax on campus. Because our whole lives are centered around the people and the happenings of Brunonia, you can get trapped in the Brown Bubble.

It’s important to take trips away from college hill, and not just to go to the mall. If you like sports, head to Boston for a Red-Sox or a Celtics game. Visit Newport, just a free bus ride away, and enjoy the beach or the old town. Even just a run down to Blackstone park or India Point park is a great way to get off campus and breath for a bit.

This is something most of my friends regret not doing enough of our freshman year. Get out there and explore!

Brown University