Declassified Bing survival guide

Fear not, little Bearcat

Entering college as a freshman or transfer is a daunting experience. You don’t know the people, the campus, or the general vibe of the school just yet and it’s easy to feel like you stick out like a sore thumb. Which dining hall is good for socializing between classes? Is it acceptable to wear heels to the bars on a Tuesday night? Will sitting in the front of a lecture actually help me pay attention or just make me get called on for questions I don’t know the answer to?

Packing List:

The fifteen trips you made to Target before leaving probably were not enough.

Shower Caddy/robe: if you’re living in a dorm with communal bathrooms, i.e. College in the Woods, Newing, make sure you bring stuff that makes that awkward, damp trek from the bathroom back to your room as quick and not-awkward as possible.

Mattress pad: the beds aren’t the worst thing in the world. Twin extra-long is actually a nice length that most feet won’t hang off of. However, bring something to soften it up, memory foam is recommended.

Crappy heels: If you’re a heel-wearer while visiting State street, do not break out your 6-inch, suede Jimmy Choos for the residue-covered floors of frat houses and the beer puddles at The Rat. Target, DSW, Zappos, whatever your discount store of choice may be, get yourself a pair of relatively low, relatively cheap, and very comfortable go-to heels. Or you could just wear converse.

Rain boots/ snow boots: When your mom tries to stick a pair of squeaky, obnoxious, red rubber rain boots into your duffel, let her. Binghamton’s two main seasons are rain and snow and trust me, your Uggs are not prepared for it.

Fan: This is mostly directed toward people living in the older dorms, College in the Woods and Hinman. Although Binghamton only has about 10 warm days a year, when you arrive at Binghamton keep in mind it is in August and campus’ original residence halls have yet to be blessed with the heavenly gift of air conditioning.

Singles: Nobody wants to be the person getting into a $4 taxi with a twenty dollar bill.

Winter Coat: This may seem like a given, but a lot of people will hesitate to bring their North Face until after Thanksgiving break to save room. Bring it as soon as you move in. You might just find yourself ankle deep in snow before Halloween is over.

An M&T Debit Card: Don’t try to survive the semester with the Chase card you’ve had your whole life. The ATM fees actually add up and the only bank on campus is M&T. You’ll thank me later.

A Personal Pharmacy: I’m not saying to hoard any illegal prescription drugs, but make sure you have a well stocked medicine drawer. Ibuprofen, cough syrup, a thermometer, the works. The last thing  you want to do when you have mono is walk halfway across campus in the cold only for health services to tell you it’s allergies. Again.

An ID Holder: Warning: you will get made fun of if you wear your ID around your neck as a freshman. However, you’re also probably going to have to pay for at least two IDs first semester if you aren’t careful. (That’s $20 a pop.) Make sure you have somewhere to secure your BU ID because that’s your meal card, entrance to your building, and in new buildings entrance to your room.

Class Registration (What the f**k is a CRN number?)

Go to an advisor. (It’s not that scary I promise.) Ask them to show you degree works and to help you figure out BU brain before you get an ulcer trying to figure it out yourself.

Get your gen-eds out of the way in the easiest way you can. If your friend’s roommates cousin went to Bing and took Anthropology 101 with the professor who’s teaching it and he said it was a nightmare, don’t take it. You can find another class that will fulfill the requirement and you’ll be seriously mad at yourself if you have to look at a C- on your transcript forever that you could’ve avoided.

If you see a class that interests you, take it! (If you have time for it.) That Creative Writing 240 you spontaneously decided to take for an easy A may just help you figure out your major.

Don’t be afraid of add drop. Add drop is helpful in multiple ways: One, if you accidentally register for a Spanish literature course that is full of fluent students and your knowledge doesn’t go beyond “hola,” you can get out without a scratch. Two, if you’re dying to get into a class, you may be able to jump in the moment someone else jumps out.

Study Spots:

Beautiful view of campus and a Jazzman’s iced latte from the third floor of Bartle.

Jazzmans:If you don’t mind mild chatter, try and steal a booth. They’re comfy and roomy and you won’t have to go far for coffee

The White Room: Although this is one of the quietest study spots on campus, be prepared for a Greek life overload and frequent socialization.

The top of C4: Peaceful, pretty views of campus, and a big table for group study.

Hinman Library: The Hinman library has individual tables, group tables, regular chairs, comfy chairs, computers, and printers. And it’s quiet.

Bingham study lounges: The desks in Binghamon study lounges are a hidden gem.

Third floor of Bartle: This floor is just as quiet as The White Room minus the social scene plus sick campus views if you can get a window seat. You can also get a full table to yourself or reserve a group study room.

Downtown Advice (Pizza, booze, and safety)

Always bring a fracket. (An old sweatshirt you don’t care about anymore to wear while outside. Bat Mitzvah sweatshirts recommended.)

Take advantage of “club State Street” while it’s warm out. By that, I mean hang out outside until your “fracket” doesn’t cut it anymore.

Don’t waste all of your money on cabs. Take advantage of the bus. (especially in the warmer months.)

Get a slice of pizza with your friends at Pasquales instead of going home early.

If there’s a cover charge, you can probably find a place without one.

Walk in groups greater than two! Binghamton is our home, but it’s also home to crime and 2am on a Saturday night is not the time to be going for a solo-intoxicated stroll.

Don’t splurge on a JT’s fishbowl, but DO splurge on JT’s Tuesdays 10 cent beers.

Always take snacks from frats. If they leave it out, it’s up for grabs.

Make friends with a cab driver. He/she will give you free rides on your birthday, advice when you’re crying on the way home, and you won’t have to worry about getting picked up if you find yourself sleeping out.

Figuring out Binghamton is a process. You’re not going to walk into C4 for the first time and know exactly what to get on your sandwich and you’re not going to have a go-to coffee pit stop on your first day of class. Luckily, we’re all figuring this strange place out together and if you’re a sophomore and you’re not used to the cold yet, don’t worry. You never get used to it.

SUNY Binghamton binghamton downtown guide help list packing pizza studying survival