Working out off-campus is a waste of time and money

Don’t start preaching Soulcycle to me

We all have a friend that refuses to work out in the Plex. “It’s really dirty” (do your part, wipe down your machine) and “the machines are always being used” or (my favorite) “you always see someone you know.” But when it comes down to it, working out at the Plex is COMPLETELY FREE. (Technically nothing is completely free, our tuition is paying for the facilities, but you get what I mean)

Soulcycle is also sort of cult-y and personally I just am not coordinated enough for barre classes. So, naturally, this is a biased review.

As an initial disclaimer, I have been to Soulcycle and I actually really did like it. I went with my teammates and we had an enlightening, soulful (weak pun, sorry) workout. Our instructor was RIPPED and there was some nice mood lighting, I sweat out roughly half my water weight and we got it all for free thanks to someone’s connection. So it really was a good experience, don’t get me wrong.

However, I am personally a broke-ass freshman who gets sweaty palms when I see ~the~ text from my mom (a picture of the dreaded credit card bill) complete with my Ubers (how did I take this many?) and El Pelons and those Sunday morning Johnny’s brunches. There is no room in my schedule or my wallet to spend the (brace yourself) $34 to attend ONE Soulcycle class. Just one. That doesn’t even include the clothes you’ll probably end up buying or the Sweetgreen you’ll eat afterwards.

And, yes, okay, there’s a certain aesthetic to the whole place. Everyone is friendly, the apparel is admittedly cool and there are fresh towels and a nicely smelling candle in the bathroom. However, as an avid attendee of Plex spin classes (shoutout to my go-to instructors, I love you all), I must say there is literally no difference in the two workouts. You will probably feel like dying either way.

I know the Plex is stuffy and gross and there are soooo many people there at all times; yes, it sucks. Yes, it’s obscene that it’s still standing.

But just think of that $40 you just spent. Think of where it could’ve been used – on three large Pino’s pizzas. Four Sweetgreen salads. Two Marathon Monday shirts. And let’s say you go twice a week, five months of the year? $1600. That covers a round-trip flight to Europe, so you make that call.

And think of this added bonus: haven’t you always dreamt of your BC love story? This could be it – you see them on the track from the stair machine, use it as an excuse to get the hell off that thing, and next thing you know you’re walking down the aisle cracking up because you met in the Plex, of all places. Romantic, I know.

All you gotta do is call that bored-to-tears student at the desk, reserve your spin bike, and make that 8 minute (or less!) hike to the Flynn Recreation Complex and all its glory. You can thank me later for that extra money in your pocket.

Boston College