Student-Athlete ‘Flight School’ launches at BC

The program aims to have 90 percent of student-athletes definitive post-graduate plans

Yesterday BC announced a new program called ‘Flight School,’ in hopes of ensuring 90 percent of student-athletes have postgraduate career plans.

Balancing school, service, and sport, the schedule of a student-athlete leaves minimal time for outside work experience and career-oriented development. Tony Skarupa ’84, father of Haley Skarupa, a senior on the women’s hockey team, saw an opportunity to make a change.

In a post on BC Athletics, he said: “I approached Brad (Bates) just over a year ago because I saw some of what he saw: a talented pool of kids.

“I saw through my daughter and some of her relationships that student-athletes were a bit constrained, because of time commitments and capacity, to take normal routes in securing internships, mentoring situations or job opportunities.”

Through his personal work experience and by watching Haley, Skarupa acknowledges athletes possess the work ethic and driven qualities necessary to compete in the business world. Mr. Shakrupka added that athletes “also bring in a confidence and a level of poise and maturity that differentiates them.

“When you think about trying to hire talent for a business, those intangibles are what tends to set people apart.”

While 90 percent may seem like a lofty goal, Brad Bates is confident in the take-off of this program. Bates sees this launch coming full circle, hoping graduating student-athletes will return to interact with and recruit BC students in the future.

The Tab asked current student-athletes about their thoughts on the new program.

Michael Strem, a sophomore on the baseball team said: “Flight School gives BC student-athletes a unique opportunity where they get a chance to interact with alumni while gaining experience in their field at the same time.

“I’m really excited about the connections that can be formed through this program in order to have a smooth transition in life after graduation.”

Alex Joseph from the Men’s XC and Track and Field team said: “I think it’s an awesome idea, and I’m glad Boston College athletics is taking the initiative to support their athletes because I think a lot of times the postgraduate careers are forgotten about.

“I know as a track athlete we are in season all year, so it’s hard to handle athletics, school, and finding a job.”

This program hopes to be a “win-win,” providing graduated businessmen and women the opportunity to connect with talented individuals, and allow student-athletes the chance to further develop their career plans while balancing their load at BC.

Boston College