The best places to nap on campus

‘Every BC student loves Gasson, so is it too much of a stretch to consider napping here?’

Few things are as brutal as the sleep deprivation that is finals season. You say you’ll start studying early, you said you’d make a great outline for all those papers beforehand, you promised yourself you wouldn’t be utilizing the O’Neill’s “open 24 hours” system.

But, like the rest of us, you are inevitably sleep-deprived, aggravated, and practically a zombie by the end of it all.

After a few late, late nights that turn into too-early mornings, the desire to shut your eyes is enchanting. I wake up in the morning and the first thought I have is “when can I sleep again?” Is there a way I can sleep during the day as a futile attempt to have a decent sleep schedule?

Well, I decided to find out. Sleep-deprived, and slightly delirious, I explored campus in attempt to answer the question that is now constantly on my mind: “Can I nap here?”

You have other options besides the booths in O’Neill…

The Couches in Lower

Verdict: With the poinsettias, the stockings, and the fireplace crackling, once the sunlights stops beaming in this location seems pretty homey. Sadly, there was far too much sunlight at this point.

I was able to stretch my whole body out (this is a rare find for nap spots, people – take note) and it was relatively comfy.

The major drawback? There were all these people trying to eat, and work, and socialize, and do things other than sleep for who-knows-what reason and their chatter was quite distracting… how rude.

Hillside Café

Verdict: Can you sense the desperation? This is a high top chair. Not fun. The cutesy modern design with unnatural angles may look pretty but don’t try to relax in it.

I’m sure some fancy company like Restoration Hardware carries some luxury bar chair that I could sleep for days in, but clearly Hillside didn’t browse their catalogue. There weren’t any tables, and my feet couldn’t even reach the floor in this chair. I’m pretty sure those are tears behind that scarf.

The only plus side? Pretty tough to get closer to coffee and snacks unless you napped in the kitchen.

The Million Dollar Stairs

Verdict: You know there are too many stairs when there are rest areas half-way through.

Look at that creepy eagle dutifully watching over me, such school spirit. Hopefully he’s yelling at people making too much noise.

The bench is certainly an improvement from the awful Hillside chair but there’s one obvious drawback here – I’m outside. Yes, it’s uncharacteristically warm for December but  what if suddenly drops 25 degrees, starts snowing, and I don’t wake up. This is a dangerous game.

Higgins Entrance

Verdict: Again, sadly, I am outdoors. However, at least I have the shelter of one of BC’s many majestic arches in this nap spot.

Despite feeling rather important napping here (possibly because this is probably the most productive I’ve ever been in Higgins… science isn’t my thing), the comfort level left room for improvement. Best feature is probably the ample leg room. That, or the arch serving as the fanciest canopy bed ever. The backrest/headrest was a good thought on the architect’s part here but a little incline would be nice. I was hoping for something more La-Z-Boy but ended up with cold rocks at a 90 degree angle.

St. Ignatius Statue

Verdict: St. Ignatius has a nice spot here. The little walls surrounding him give this location a cozy feel.

Definitely plenty of space here, but, again, I had the issue of bothersome people. I know it’s a bit warmer than normal outside, but can’t you guys go inside to talk?

Hopefully St. Ignatius’s grandeur provides a level of prestige to this nap spot. I mean, he’s a saint. Not a bad person to have watching over you in your sleep. Still though, outdoors, not too comfortable, and way too sunny.

The Quad

Verdict: Such a scenic location to snooze. I’m surprised more people don’t do this.

Face down on a rock wall, I couldn’t actually see Gasson, but I knew it was there. The warmth in my heart (because, Gasson) was almost enough to counteract the outside location. Ultimately, the rock wall was a bit too narrow for my liking and the occasional bell-ringing proved bothersome.

Inside Gasson 

Verdict: One Gasson nap location just is not enough. Indoors, with plenty of room, I was free to sprawl out.

Being inside made this rock surface not even cold to lay down on! Huge strides being made! There wasn’t an event going on in Gasson 100 at the time which could have ruined this spot, but as it was it was quiet, warm, and aesthetically pleasing. I mean, besides a blanket and comfier surface, what more could I ask for?

The Chocolate Bar

Verdict: I spend so much time here that napping here was the obvious choice.

If you live on upper or CoRo this would probably be pretty pathetic (your beds are too close), but then again I live on Lower campus and have fallen asleep in Addie’s so… who am I to judge?

These chairs are definitely comfy. The size could use some improvement, but lots of potential. If only another chair was open I could have fashioned a makeshift bed with the two. If you have that opportunity, I highly suggest it.

My earlier position of curled up into a tiny ball in the chair was certainly cozier, but all my muscles started hurting. The cushioned backrest of this chair can double as a great chin rest, so there’s really no way you can go wrong.

Except, of course, when classes switch and people practically come out of the walls to flock the chocolate bar line and it gets too loud.

The Chocolate Bar Line

Verdict: The dividers meant to organize the line were very bothersome to nap with. What if my leg extended past the divider? There’s also a high likelihood of getting stepped on.

But, I take it back – I might be even closer to coffee and food than I was in Hillside. This was a rare moment where the Chocolate Bar line didn’t extend up the Stokes stairs, but it didn’t last wrong and I was soon put in a place of grave danger in this nap spot.

The overall findings? If you’re tired enough, you can nap almost anywhere. If you wander around campus wondering “can I nap here?” like I do, your answer is yes, yes you can.

Boston College