Everything you need to know about yesterday’s Human Link Demonstration

‘I was an illegal immigrant, and I was raised by illegal immigrants’

Yesterday dozens of students came together in front of O’Neill in direct response to national misperceptions of immigrants, particularly due to “disrespectful and discriminatory comments” made by presidential candidates.

The demonstration, which OLAA received a permit for and approval from the Dean of Students, had students connect arms to create a “human link” and ultimately put a face to the issue of immigration on campus.

We spoke to many students involved with yesterday’s demonstration, including three student organizers: junior Maura Lester, Assistant to the Directors of social and political action of OLAA, junior Gerardo Acosta, Director of social and political action and Evelyn Cortes, Events Coordinator.

How was today’s demonstration organized? Who was involved and who participated? 

Evelyn: We had the support of many organizations on campus like CASA (Cuban-American Student Association), KSA (Korean Student Association), SEASA (Southeast Asian Student Association), and FACES. But I met so many other students that I locked hands with that are from other many clubs and groups like Voices of Imani, BEATS, VIP dance team, BSF (Black Student Forum), CRS (Catholic Relief Services), and many others that I’m sure were there too. Its great to see the diverse support that endures at BC, even when you feel like the institution itself has turned its back on the students it is supposed to serve.

Maura: OLAA reached out to all of the different organizations in the AHANA Caucus, ALC, UGBC, the Arrupe Program and some other groups and individuals to participate in the event. I’m not sure of the total number of participants, but at any given time between 10:45am and 3:00 pm there were between 10 and 20 people linking arms.

Gerardo: We had multiple 15 minute shifts from 10:45am to about 3:00pm where people held signs with a fact about immigrants in the United States. We had 45 students sign up in advance to hold up sign but many students also decided to join in and pick up a sign or simply stand as part of the “human-link.”

What was the purpose of this event? 

Maura: In light of the many negative stereotypes and misconceptions of immigrants that seem to be dominating our national political atmosphere, we wanted to show our campus that immigration and policies towards immigrants affect real people on our campus.

Immigration is not something that only exists far away from us at the border and that only affects people we don’t know. No, immigration has a human face and those faces are represented at Boston College. Immigrants are an integral part of BC, they are students, dining workers, facilities workers, faculty, staff and Jesuits.

Talk to us about the human link. Describe the atmosphere of the demonstration.

Maura: It was a way of “building a wall” that gave a human face to the issue. I was really moved by the amount of people that came out and linked arms with us despite the cold and despite the drizzle of rain.

Evelyn: The day was very cold and rainy and I think this made our message even stronger because in all conditions, at all times, we should stand together in unity and solidarity which was exactly what was done. Knowing that we have a voice is so exciting and exhilarating and it felt like a positive environment in a place where a lot of student would consider BC a negative environment. I felt so much love throughout the time I stood there with my friends and even fellow students I met for the first time, it was so inevitable and empowering.

Gerardo: I think the demonstration was productive because it demonstrated to the wider BC community that not only are there immigrants and sons of immigrants among them, but they have a voice and they are willing to engage you in a discussion about issues that pertain to them.

As people walked by and took pictures, I worried whether they were going to post the picture in support or whether they would use it to mock us, but I soon realized that it didn’t matter. As long as people were taking our pictures they were being forced to confront an issue that they may otherwise never bat an eyelash at.

What was it like participating in this demonstration? What does the demonstration mean to you personally? 

Gerardo: The experience for me was very personal. I immigrated from Colombia with my parents when I was six years old, and we lived illegally in the US for about seven-eight years. So when people make ignorant comments about immigrants and specifically illegal Latino immigrants it offends me because I was an illegal immigrant, and I was raised by illegal immigrants.

I was inspired today by the amount of solidarity that we were blessed with from both students and faculty passing by. It reminded me of the wonderful people that have helped my family through our journey of legalization and it reminded me that those sort people are out there, even at BC.

Evelyn: Being at BC has definitely challenged me to have patience and to come out of my comfort zone to have a voice. As the daughter of Mexican immigrants, I have come to see how privileged I am as a student and an American, if it had not been for the sacrifices that my parents had made I wouldn’t be where I am today.

It’s time that students at BC start recognizing their privilege, we all have it in different ways, but it is key to having sympathy and to understanding that it affects people of color more than others and in this circumstance, immigrants wanting a better life.

How can BC students become more involved with immigrant-related issues? Is it about awareness, or action?

Evelyn: I strongly believe in the power of dialogue and what better way than to do so with classmates and peers,and even on social media. We have the advantage to make a change with the power of technology!It is about awareness, reflection and action. We need the facts to use as tools,  there is no way that we can reason with others without facts that show the incredible positive contributions that immigrants make to this country.

My mom always tells me, “La fe mueve montañas,” (faith moves mountains) and a single person can’t do it, OLAA and many other students on campus has given me a group of people to do this with and I am extremely grateful that we’re all so loud and motivated because all of our voices are going to do great things.

We spoke to some of the other hosts of this demonstration, all of whom shared their experience participating in the solidarity movement.

Luis Miguel Torres, Senior, English

“The Human Link Demonstration was meaningful because it allowed students to come together for one cause: debunking the negative rhetoric associated with immigrants in mainstream media. Everyone in this country, aside from Native Americans, is an immigrant. Once this commonality is acknowledged by people of all walks of life, we can begin to have productive dialogue between those who oppose immigration and those who are pro-immigration.

”

Line Wong, Sophomore, Economics

“My parents remain in South America trying to make ends meet; and it’s incredibly heartening to see so many BC kids stop by to show support for and learn more about immigrants, who make the US more beautiful as a whole.”

Gerardo Acosta, Junior, Biology

“The event was meaningful for me because it provided a way for people who care about immigration reform a way to express their support in a meaningful and symbolic way.

“It also let all of campus know that there are students at BC hold the issue of immigration close to their heart either because they are immigrants (like myself), they are the children of immigrant parents, or they are familiar with the immigrant narrative and how deeply rooted it is in American history and greatness.

“Most importantly, I think we were able to highlight that immigration reform would not only influence Latino immigrants or undocumented immigrants, but that all of society would benefit from a humane and efficient immigration policy.”

Steven Guerrero, Sophomore, Accounting

“This event was meaningful to me because…I am the product of immigrant parents who after 35 plus years here in the USA they still work 40 hour weeks.”

Annabel Torres, Freshman, Applied Psych & Human Development

“The demonstration was meaningful to me because both my parents are immigrants. They have worked so hard to get me to where I am today. I believe it’s important for people to be aware about immigration issues because immigrants are so essential to this country.”

Rafael Torres, Sophomore, Communication major and African Diaspora minor

“#TheTruthAboutImmigrants Demonstration today was incredibly powerful and moving. There are far too many misconceptions about immigration and I’m proud to be part of the organization that took a step towards improving the conversation.”

Boston College