Fraternity brothers pay tribute to freshman who died unexpectedly in dorm

Richard ‘Hil’ Abbott will be sorely missed by the Auburn community, family and friends

Last weekend 18-year-old Richard Hilstad Abbott, better known as “Hil”, was found unresponsive in his dorm room. Abbott’s parents were unable to reach him and that is when they contacted authorities to check on Abbott. According to Lee County Coroner Bill Harris, the police arrived at 3:13pm and Abbott was pronounced dead at 3:26pm. No foul play is suspected.

Abbott was a freshman from Denver studying Engineering. He loved golf, lacrosse and traveling, according to his tribute page set up by family and friends. In addition, Abbott had recently pledged Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity. While the brothers of Phi Kappa Tau mourn the loss of Abbott, president of Phi Kappa Tau, Taylor Johnson, spoke out about Abbott’s character and their friendship. Johnson was a Camp War Eagle orientation leader this summer where he first met Abbott and established a special bond.

“I met Hil Abbott this summer in Camp War Eagle where I was privileged to be his counselor. Right away I knew he was a special young man who had a hilarious sense of humor. Those two days were some of the best and I’ll cherish them forever. I was truly overjoyed when I saw Hil at some of my fraternity rush events. I hung back a little, I wanted him to meet the brothers and right away they fell in love with him, the moment they met him, just as I had. When he made the decision to pledge my fraternity I was overwhelmingly happy and unbelievably excited.

“I will always remember his smile, our hug, and that moment for the rest of my life. I would like everyone to know that Hil will forever remain a part of our chapter. He is with us. He is one of us. And we are truly honored to have him. I will wear his pledge pin throughout his pledgeship, every day, in his memory. We have made a memorial in his honor, which every Camp War Eagle counselor of this summer has signed. In addition, every fraternity and sorority within our Greek community has contributed wooden blocks of their letters to surround the border of the frame. I will be giving this tribute to his family in the near future as a testament to the impact Hil had here at Auburn and the place he will forever hold among us. I would like to thank Camp War Eagle, Auburn’s Greek Community and Auburn University for their amazing support in this difficult moment.

“During the time I spent with Hil I was able to help him register for classes, find his place on campus, and see how special Auburn is in all our hearts. During Camp War Eagle, I was known for my group chants. One of my favorites was, ‘It’s not easy being the best Camp War Eagle group, but someone has to do it”’ Hil loved that one. The truth is Hil made my group the best, he made everyone around him laugh, and he made me a better person. I will never be able to put into words how much Hil means to me and how blessed I was to be a part of his life.

“I was his counselor, I was his President, I was his brother. And he was my friend. I miss him and love him so very much. I was privileged to have him in my Camp War Eagle group, and I find comfort in knowing that Hil is in God’s group now. I know he’s up there getting them hyped for Group 16 and I can’t wait to see him again. Auburn is a special place for its unique family. I wouldn’t be able to make it through this moment without you all. Thank you all for giving me the opportunity to meet Hil and have the honor of calling him by friend. Hil represented the best of us and will forever be with us. Rest in Peace Brother.” – Taylor Johnson, President of Phi Kappa Tau

Above is Abbott’s memorial featured in the house of Phi Kappa Tau. “We created this board in memory of Hil”, says Charlie Bader, a Brother of Phi Kappa Tau. Bader went on to say that “Hil will be missed by many, he made a great impact on his pledge brothers and all of those around him.” The memorial service will be held in Denver on Saturday, September 3.

Auburn University