AU junior Adam Brasher was the first person in line for Krispy Kreme’s opening

He gets free doughnuts for a full year

The new Auburn Krispy Kreme opened for the first time Tuesday at 6am, and the offer of free doughnuts for the first 100 people drew quite a crowd. But one person in line was a little more dedicated.

AU junior Adam Brasher was the first in line and has been camping out for days. The Tab Auburn spoke to Adam about his love for Krispy Kreme and what the experience has been like.

How long have you been camped out? 

“I got here at midnight Friday night and I’ve been here since then. I think once they open, it’ll be a total of 78 hours, all in front of Krispy Kreme, waiting on my doughnuts.”

What made you want to to do this? 

“I love Krispy Kreme so much – they have a place in my heart. I’ve driven to Columbus and Montgomery so many times to get doughnuts, so when I heard the Auburn location was opening and they had a contest for the first person in line I thought, ‘well, someone has to be crazy enough to do it.’ I finished my finals and had nothing else to do with my time for the next couple of weeks, so I decided I will be that crazy person and pitch my tent in front of the Krispy Kreme.”

Do you enjoy camping otherwise? 

“I don’t camp very often and it is definitely a different experience being right off Opelika Road, instead of in the middle of the woods, with all the lights and noises from cars. It’s definitely not the best camping experience ever – it’s hard. But there are doughnuts here, there aren’t doughnuts in the woods.”

Do you have friends camping with you? 

“I have a friend who came last night. He is 4th in line and is going to stick around until the end of it, as well. But it’s just me in my tent. The second and third person in line showed up last night.”

We’ve heard there is registration – what is that about? 

“They [went] through the line at 3 or 4 today and gave people wristbands with numbers on it so you don’t have to be in line the whole night, but you should be on the premises. They [went] through line checks periodically throughout the night to make sure everyone [was] still there.”

How are you surviving? 

“I brought a couple cases of water with me, some trail mix and cliff bars. The employees were doing test runs of the machines and actually gave me a couple boxes of doughnuts. I’m right by the Auburn Mall so, I’ve gone in there a couple of times to get food. The training manager actually went over to Zaxby’s and got me some food as well.”

Have the employees been nice and helpful to you? 

“The employees have been great! Saturday morning, the owner came and woke me up with a doughnut and took pictures with me. They’ve let me use the bathrooms and power outlets.”

What is your favorite doughnut? 

“My favorite doughnut is ice cold chocolate covered creme filled. You’ve got to put it in the refrigerator for a little bit in order for it to get ice cold. It is heaven in pastry form.”

Have you always had a love for doughnuts?  

“When I was young, as a special treat, there is a Krispy Kreme on the east side of Birmingham that my dad would take me to. So I just never really got tired of them.”

Auburn University