We asked App students for exam week advice

Don’t be that guy who goes to the wrong room for the exam

The start of exams is finally here. Exam week means two things: a bunch stressed out college students fighting for survival and the fact the semester is over and we get a monthlong break from school.

Here is some good (and not so good) advice on how to survive exam week.

“When an exam is cumulative, you don’t need to study because you have already been tested on the material”

My response to this one is a big NO. You should always study for cumulative exams because I can guarantee you do not remember all of those details from three months ago.

“24-hour ‘quiet hours’ don’t really mean you have to be quiet”

This is why people have to make signs on what quiet hours are, because apparently the name is not self-explanatory. You should respect your dormmates and let them study if they want to. You can do your own thing, but in your own room instead of running around in the hallways.

“Take advantage of extra study sessions”

Whether it’s reading day or a break in your exams, extra review sessions are always helpful. From personal experience, professors typically focus on what is definitely going to be on the exam. You get the extra help if you need it and you get an idea of what to study for.

On my way to an review session and the hall is dead

“Put your exam times in your calendar”

Do not be that person who rolls into the exam an hour late. And don’t completely miss the exam because you’re not sure when it is. Write it down and be prepared.

“Do not worry about booking a study room in the library – you will be able to find an open one”

Good luck with this one – the library is packed and some people even book rooms a couple weeks in advance to assure they have one. Once you find a spot, take it, because if you circle back around it will probably end up taken.

“Know when your assignments are due”

Do not risk turning in anything late. Submit everything on time or even early.

“Skim through your notes rather than trying to read everything”

At this point in the semester, there is no point in trying to read the entire textbook you were supposed to have read periodically through the term. Check your syllabus and notes and look up those sections in your textbook to skim them. Read the footnotes and bolded words first if you’re limited on time. Anything is better than nothing at this point.

“Turn off all social media and notifications”

This may be extreme for those addicted to social media, but lock your phone up if it’s a distraction. You may say, “Oh, I am just going to check my feed for a minute,” and the next thing you know, 30 minutes have passed. Just avoid the problem and put your phone in a place out of reach.

“Pull an all-nighter – it will help you remember for your exam in the morning”

Again, this probably might not be the best idea. If you can barely stay awake for your exam, I am pretty sure no matter how much you study, things will not go the way you want them to. Be sure to get some sleep (the more the better). But let’s be honest: we have to do what we have to do sometimes.

“Take breaks”

Study for an hour and take a 15-20 minute break in between. Let your mind relax and process what it just reviewed. There is no point going straight for three hours and halfway through, you realize you hit automatic mode and you do not remember what you have been reading.

“Do not study and trust that you know it”

It is good that you trust yourself, but you should probably still review, even if it is for 30 minutes. There is nothing worse than getting a test, looking at the first few questions and knowing you are going to fail because you don’t even understand the words.

“Know where your exam is taking place”

Most of the time, your exam is where you normally take your tests, whether that be online or in your lecture room. However, sometimes in fine print on the class calendar there is a note saying the final is in a different room. Do not be that lost and confused soul on exam day. Look it up in advance and know where you are going.

Photo credit: The Tab Auburn

Appalachian State University