This is what it feels like to leave all of your friends behind

Once I transferred to ASU, nothing was the same

Nothing is the same anymore. I transferred universities and had to leave my friends behind. We go to different schools, have different friends, live in different cities and chose different paths in life.

I have gone back to visit a few times since I left last semester, and each time I leave, it’s more and more difficult. My friends are are moving forward with their lives, as am I, and I could not be more happy for them.

Our first football game with the Pride of The Mountains Marching Band

My old friends are making new friends, going on new adventures and sharing new memories with people who are not me. They make new inside jokes that I don’t quite understand, and the ones we used to have feel dated in comparison. When we do reunite, I feel like an old man trying to keep up with what’s trending with the youngsters.

We shared our first collegiate level band camp together. We spent every moment of our Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings together rehearsing and stretching (calf and shoulder). We ate together every chance we had.

We shared heartache, emotional highs, boy drama, hunger, road trips to Indianapolis, Ben and Jerry’s and everything in between.

We spent each football game together sitting in a little pod-squad waiting to play the fight song. What we had was absolutely special, and I am beyond thankful for the experiences we had together.

They challenged me to be a better musician, to try different music, to stay true to my faith, to not change myself to suit those around me and to step outside my comfort zone. For these things, I am truly blessed and thankful.

The weekend I took Michelle home to meet my mother (the only girl I’ve ever brought home)

Truthfully, I am jealous of their new friends. Their new buds will be able to experience the fun, love and honesty that come with being their friend on a daily basis, and all I have left is a semester’s worth of memories.

They have made an impact on my life larger than they could ever imagine, and I will always cherish our time together.

Appalachian State University