Meet senior Hillary Conheady, Alabama’s Insta-famous fashion guru

Her motto is: ‘If your mom can see it, then you can post it’

Let’s face it – for millennials, social media has become as important as eating, sleeping and going out with friends. Whether it’s a night out with friends to Fraternity Row or using our dining dollars to eat in between classes at B-Phils, we are constantly tweeting, Instagramming and Snapchatting our daily whereabouts.

Hillary Conheady is a senior at the University of Alabama pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Clothing, Textiles and Design with a concentration in Fashion Retailing. Social media has become a way for the fashionista to express herself both personally and professionally.

With over 7,000 active followers on Instagram – her bio reads: “Coffee lover, Vegan(ish), Fashion Enthusiast” – Hillary often sponsors a number of different companies and brands.

She sat down with The Tab to talk a little more about her love of fashion, her latest internship with one of the industry’s biggest household names and the time she missed class to celebrate her dog’s first birthday.

What is your favorite media outlet to use and why?

Instagram, for sure. I love photography and I find it easy for me to express my personality and style through pictures.

How do you choose what content to share with your followers?

I am always very particular about what I post on social media. I make sure to always upload photos and post comments that truly represent me and my beliefs. My motto on social media is: “if your mom can see it, then you can post it.”

How did you know working in the fashion industry was something you wanted to do for the rest of your life?

I’ve always had a love and appreciation for fashion, styling and designers. It wasn’t until college, when I started my Clothing, Textiles and Design major, that I realized I could actually make this a career. I realized during my internship at BCBGMAXAZRIA that the fashion industry is where I belong and what I will succeed in.

What was the coolest thing to happen to you while living and interning in New York City?

I would say the coolest thing that happened to me while living in New York was meeting the Creative Director of Vogue, Grace Coddington. I have always looked up to her and followed her successes. Simply being in the same room as her was surreal.

What’s a myth about interning in the fashion industry you now know to be false?

Prior to my internship, I was a little worried that my days would be spent in the wardrobe closet steaming all day. While I did, however, have my fair share of steaming, I became part of the company and felt as if I was a valued employee. My work and opinions were always appreciated and acknowledged by my fellow employees and supervisors, which is not always as promising in such a large and successful company like BCBG.

What would be your advice for incoming freshmen who are pursuing their dreams in fashion?

Never say no to new opportunities. It is so important to put yourself out there and make connections and learn as much as you can before you are faced with “the real world.” You will never know how capable you are until you try.

What is your fashion secret?

Confidence. Although this is not necessarily a secret, many forget to embrace their personality and style. Every now and then, it’s important to say “why not?” and wear the leather pants.

Your go-to outfit?

My go-to outfit is a Free People black turtleneck oversized sweater with black leggings and my Adidas Original Superstars. It’s a super comfy outfit while still being chic.

Who is your favorite designer?

Valentino has always been one of my favorites. They truly know how to stand out and create their own style (Spring/Summer ‘16 is to die for). I admire their embellished fabrics and beautiful silhouettes and can’t wait to see what they do next.

Biggest inspiration?

I am constantly being inspired by the people I am surrounded by. While I was working at BCBGMAXAZRIA in New York, I was very much inspired to be like those who I worked with, because of all their great successes. I was lucky enough to work in such a positive environment and learn from the best.

Now, as a student at the capstone, what does Alabama mean to you?

The University of Alabama was the only school I applied to. I knew from the very beginning this was where I belonged. UA has shaped me into the person I am today and has allowed me to blossom into a young woman (this is cheesy but true). I have made so many great friends and memories that I will never forget. I have enjoyed every second of my time at UA and hate that it is coming to a close so soon.

What has been the biggest lesson a professor has taught you here in Alabama?

It is NOT okay to miss class for your dog’s first birthday. Yes, I did miss class, and yes, my teacher did find out.

Finally, where do you hope to be in five years?

In five years, I hope to be living in New York – preferably an apartment in Brooklyn that is bigger than a shoebox – with a career in the fashion industry. I would like to be involved in social media in some way, but I am hoping to find a job related to styling or fashion forecasting.

University of Alabama national-us