Kim Kardashian’s first TV interview since the infamous Paris robbery is a haunting insight into the mind of a woman in danger

tips

babe  • 

‘It could have been way worse’

Kim K just gave her first TV interview since the infamous Paris robbery, and it offered a glimpse into the psyche of a trapped woman, and the places her mind will naturally go first.

“I knew that was it for me,” she said, “I said a prayer, I’m like, ‘I know I’m going to heaven. I hope my kids are okay, my husband.’ It happens really fast. It was a good seven or eight minutes of torture, but when I look back and I analyze it, I’m like, ‘okay, they weren’t really aggressive.’ It could have been way worse.”

And a shiver ran down my spine: “It could have been way worse.” No woman can read this line without her mind going to exactly the same place mine went.

In October of last year, Kim was robbed during Paris Fashion week, and this was the first time she opened up in a TV interview about the life-altering ordeal.

• “He grabbed my legs and I had no clothes on under,” she said in an episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians last month. “So he pulled me towards him at the front of the bed, and I thought ‘Okay, this is the moment they’re going to rape me’”.

Her mind jumping to rape is a place women’s minds often jump to when in any kind of life-threatening situation — even just walking home alone in the dark. It’s become the thing we are most afraid of, even in situations we’re not sure we’ll come out of.

“It could have been way worse,” has become horrifyingly synonymous with “I could have been raped,” and this is all the proof anyone should need.

@carolinephinney