Alright, let’s talk about the problem with the greatest film ever made, Something Borrowed

tips

babe  • 

It’s a cinematic masterpiece with one huge flaw

For a book-turned-movie that only did marginally well at the box office and had little-to-no serious pop culture impact, everyone I know is completely obsessed with catching TV showings of Something Borrowed.

Before we get into this story, though, listen to this song while you read to really get into the spirit of the movie and pretend like you're chasing after your lifelong crush in the rain:

• Seriously, especially in my familial household, the second we see it's on FX, my mom, brother and I all hurdle over the couches like Flo Jo to jockey for the best spot in front of the screen — we're all in love with Dex, obvs. There is one problem with this iconic film, though, one that everyone else just seems aaaaall to happy to ignore:

Rachel was the villain, not Darcy!

And OK, I know that you're about to say that this is like Vanity Fair where everyone is flawed and the entire story exists within moral grey areas, but like, sorry! Not really! Should we walk through the evidence?

Rachel fucked her best friend's fiance

And we're supposed to be on her side? Yeah, pass. Can you imagine your best friend in the entire world getting it on with the man you're set to marry? When it blew up, three relationships were ruined. Four if you count how Ethan got dragged into everything.

If Rachel had any respect for herself, she would have laid down an ultimatum the first time Dex tried to make a move on her. If she really cared about anyone other than herself (actually, including herself) she would have told Dex she wouldn't hook up with him without him calling off the wedding first. The betrayal was the worst part of the entire situation.

It's not Darcy's fault that Rachel has no spine

This is the biggest thing. Why is Darcy at fault for being confident, magnanimous and gorgeous? Sure, she can be a little self-focused, but maybe Rachel should be too.

She had ample opportunities to have Dex first and she blew it all instead of blowing him like she wanted. Darcy even asked her point-blank if it was OK to go for him, and Rachel not only gave her the go-ahead but actively encouraged the pairing. So tell me why Darcy is framed as the evil enchantress throughout this whole movie?

If we're gonna blame anyone, let's blame Dex

Dude was having his cake and eating it too if you know what I meeeean. He was perfectly content to string these two way-too-good-for-his-ass women along for months, not caring if he ruined their since-childhood friendship. As beautiful as he is, he's nothing but a big beautiful trashcan garbage face with dreamy eyes you could fall asleep in. Bitch ass.

It really is time to clear Darcy's name here. She's, if anything, the victim.