Hi, I’m here to call bullshit on this guy’s ‘heartbreaking friend-zone’ story

tips

babe  • 

The friend-zone is about as real as the ChalkZone

Welcome to the friend-zone where everything is made up and nothing matters.

Today on Reddit, another place where most things are made up and men’s masculinity is always fragile, users have gone into mourning for a guy who had a photo of himself and his friend posted with the caption:

“When your absolute babe of a best friend turns up smartly dressed and tells you to put on a dress as he’s taking me on a date for a late Valentine’s Day as he was in Hong Kong for it!

“I seriously couldn’t wish for a better best friend, he really does look after me and spoil me! Have so much love for this boy.”

Another user photoshopped a tear onto his face.

Despite being ridiculous, let’s state the obvious: Maybe he genuinely has no interest in dating her and actually did just want to cheer up a friend by taking her out.

I don’t know who the first person to coin the term ‘friend-zone’ was, but they really shouldn’t have; as expected it’s become another tool for men to complain about how we aren’t having sex with them.

Firstly, I’d like to point out that friends do in fact date each other. If you’re not friends with your significant other, you should probably reconsider your relationship.

Second, just because you are nice to a girl does not mean that she owes you sex. Let me repeat that: JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE NICE TO A GIRL DOESN’T MEAN SHE OWES YOU SEX.

Friends date, but that is not synonymous with “every person you’re friends with should want to, or have to, date you.” And this happens all the time.

Like this guy who asked his friend to prom:

https://twitter.com/ozzyozlaflare/status/854354844462829570

Or this girl who – oh my god – called a guy her ‘bestie’!

Or this guy who has been ‘gobbled up’ by it.

The friend-zone is only a few things, and all of them are stupid: A made up concept that acts as a scapegoat for guys who weren’t able to get the girl they were interested in to go out with them, a made up concept that makes guys who are genuinely just friends with girls feel weird, and a made up concept that propagates gender stereotypes and the idea that male are “too masculine” to spend time with a girls as friends.

Please, stop this bizarre shaming now, and let girls and guys be friends. There are still some of them left we like.

@carolinephinney