Lorde says her new album is an ode to the ups and downs of a girls’ night out

Why is this all so true?

Last night Lorde took the stage at Coachella and surprised her audience with a new, never-before-heard song, Homemade Dynamite.

Similar to Green Light, this song dances to a different beat than her last album.

A few weeks ago she said of Green Light, “I’m so proud of this song. It’s very different, and kind of unexpected. It’s complex and funny and sad and joyous and it’ll make you DANCE,” so it comes as no surprise her new song has followed in this change of direction.

But don’t worry, there will be no shortage of sad, mixed-up, heartbroken songs on this album. According to Lorde, the entire album happens within the span of one night out with the girls, and encompasses everything from pre-drinks, to dressing and hitting the club, to looking like a hot-mess in the bathroom at 3 am, to stumbling home.

“This album is about all of the ups and downs of being a 20 something,” she said before performing last night.

“I spend a lot of time going out as you do,” she joked, “and I was struck by all of the facets of an evening. Whether it’s the moment where you’re with all your friends and it’s sick — even that person who usually leaves, they’re still there. The drugs have started kicking in, I don’t know, but it’s good. And then half an hour later you can be in the bathroom like ‘Oh my god I look like a crime scene’, this is insane.

“It’s the dichotomy of those two things that I’m very interested in.”

And while she said Homemade Dynamite sits in that first category where everything is good, there are plenty more songs to come that won’t. This album is an ode to the incredible mess of a girls night out we all know, and we’re excited to hear what she has in store. If anybody knows a wild time on the town, it’s Lorde.

Watch the video of the live performance here.