Apparently, women aren’t allowed to board airplanes if they’re wearing leggings

tips

babe  • 

Guess I’ll…drive to Europe?

UPDATES: United Airlines issued a tweet stating that the passenger in question was traveling with a guest pass.

According to some familiar with the policy, guidelines allegedly only outline that fliers can't be barefoot or dressed "inappropriately." No slack is given for third graders, it would seem.

Our clothing is policed at work, school, the gym and now, apparently, on planes.

United Airlines raised the ire of hundreds of Twitter users when it was reported that a 10-year-old girl was stopped by a gate agent and not allowed to board her flight because she was dressed in leggings.

United's community management team tried to reach out over social media, but quickly proved they were just as clueless as the gate agent who caused the kerfuffle in the first place, claiming that it's within the airline's rights to refuse service to anyone dressed "inappropriately."

The girl in question was forced to change clothes before being allowed to board her flight from Denver to Minneapolis.

Of course, it's ridiculous to police what women — and especially children — wear in general, but you'd think paying hundreds of dollars to board what's basically a bus in the sky would give you the right to wear something comfortable.

Leggings are the greatest bottoms to travel in because you can make them more formal than sweatpants but your lower half remains comfortable while it's folded up like a lawn chair.

One Twitter user pointed out how United's "no leggings policy" made zero sense as earlier they were promoting athletic wear and yoga on the company's social media channels:

I can't imagine there's any scenario in which an elementary school girl looks "inappropriate" in stretchy cloth (especially considering she'll be, y'know SITTING DOWN THE WHOLE FLIGHT), but United is doubling down on their right to refuse service stance.

This story will be updated as more information about the customer and airline become available.