Some nail salon is trying to charge ‘overweight’ customers way more for pedicures because ???

They tacked up a sign and everything

Nail salons are one of the few remaining bastions of peaceful chill left in the world. Save for the faint tap-tap-tap of people with freshly adhered acrylics clicking away on their phones, the atmosphere is supposed to be a relaxing mix of acetone-scented air and piles of old Us Weekly issues.

One salon, though, apparently never got the fucking memo because they posted a horrifically insensitive and frankly nonsensical “notice” to customers of size.

Went to gt my nails done on Overton Crossing and Frayser Blvd and this is what they have up….so rude 😠😠😠

Posted by Deshania Ferguson on Saturday, March 11, 2017

OK, there’s clearly a lot of fatphobia and plain stupidity happening here, so let’s take a moment to unpack (women’s media drinking game: take a shot every time someone says “unpack” or “problematic” or “and you won’t believe what happens next!”).

“Sorry, but…” is the worst apology ever because it’s a non-apology. They might as well have written “sorry not sorry” because it’s the same sentiment thrown around by bitchy 30-somethings over margaritas.

Next up, what even qualifies as overweight to these people? Are they just going to give you a visual once over and be like, “Yup, we’ve got a Code Red, charge her extra?” What people consider overweight is incredibly subjective. For example, on the BMI chart, I’m overweight but still wear straight-sized clothing, and for some girls I know it’s vice-versa. That being said, even if a customer was obese by any societal standard, why would that mean they’d be subjected to extra fees? Have you ever seen a fucking foot? They don’t really have a considerable range in size. A foot is a foot, pretty much (and nails are definitely nails), so it’s not using up any more product than an underweight foot.

The Memphis-based salon owner was interviewed by a local news station, and he said (sorry, but of course it was a dude) that he refuses service to anyone who’s “severely overweight,” because he claims it’s difficult for to give those customers pedicures and “puts his expensive equipment at risk.” Yeeeah, I’m sure.

All of this is besides the point, though. The bottom line is that this sizeist, fatphobic policy is abhorrent and alienating and probably (hopefully) going to cost this salon business. No person should walk into a store and be worried that they’ll be targeted or called out for their size.