There’s a film about the Obama White House in production right now, and it has a female lead

Of course it does

Hide Images

According to the Hollywood Reporter, a film about the White House under the Obama administration is in production, and the leading protagonist is a woman.

The film, titled From the Corner of the Oval, was originally a book proposal by White House stenographer Beck Dorey-Stein, and has since been optioned by Universal Pictures and Anonymous Content. The book is expected to be published in 2018.

What’s most interesting about the film, however, is that it’s not centered around the Obama family, but around the life of staffers instead. The story follows the path a woman who goes from working as a waitress to working in the White House, and will be produced by Michael Sugar, whose credits include films such as Spotlight and The OA.

While I’d watch a film about literally any single one of the Obamas, it’s reassuring to see women, and especially working class women being highlighted in, what is oftentimes considered, a male’s world. Even in Obama’s White house, it’s been reported by sources such as the New York Times that there were some disparities between the wages earned by male and female staffers.

And although the White house employs more females than males, and an equal number of women and men earn the highest salary on the list, there was still a 15.8 percent difference between the median earnings of the male and female staffers under his leadership.