Read the inspirational personal statement that got an undocumented high schooler into Harvard

‘Being undocumented helps you discover the virtue of hard work and perseverance’

Victor Reyes is a high school valedictorian, a soon-to-be Computer Science major, and a DACA student. Last week, he got into Harvard.

He shared his powerful personal statement with us, which details how he came to the US and began life as an undocumented student.

Read his amazing story below.

Read Victor’s application essay

We were destined to Los Angeles, from Mexico, but in order to ensure our safe passing, I had to go first. Alone. Completely confused as to what was happening, all I remember was my mother’s final, long hug. As we left Mexico, something happened that I wouldn’t understand until I was much older. I became an illegal immigrant.

In our apartment, the TV was almost always on. Perpetually silent, it served as an early warning alarm for our family. One day, the alarm went off. An emergency announcement stopped the regular programming. Raids, within our area. Terrified, she grabbed me and hugged me. Shortly after, she closed all windows and made sure to deadbolt the door. She saw I was confused and scared so she provided a quick explanation: we are not wanted, they don’t like us, we need to hide.

The people who were supposed to protect us were trying to tear us apart. I could not comprehend what we had done wrong. My mother tried to explain our situation to me. We crossed the border illegally. Now, we had no rights and we are not allowed to speak up.

Silence does not attract attention and my family’s security depends on not being detected. As I grew up, I witnessed cases where honest, hardworking people were taken advantage of because of their immigration status. I heard a report of someone who worked with an abusive boss who would threaten them with deportation if they made a mistake. I slowly grew more and more conscientious over the injustices illegal immigrants have to face. Still, however, I lacked a voice; I lacked the freedom to express myself.

I found my voice in June 2012. My mother and I were ecstatic when we heard of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and the opportunities it would give me. Then, I knew nothing stood in the way of my education. I received a Social Security number and a California ID. I was no longer a ghost in the system. I was a person, I lived, I breathed, I moved, I spoke.

With DACA, I promised myself I would speak up for those who can’t. I was given an opportunity to be a legal resident of the United States. Countless times I saw students end their education because they were not legal residents. I was grateful for receiving DACA and wanted to make the most out of it.

“Stay very still”, my mother said as she buttoned up my jacket. I had been nominated for a field trip to visit universities on the East Coast. This was the first time I was leaving the city of Los Angeles. Previously, I had to reject similar opportunities, but DACA released me; I was free to go where I wanted. As if defying every state border, the airplane took me on a voyage of liberation through the US. From Los Angeles to Boston, every border I passed was a challenge I overcame.

Now, I plan on continuing my education and reassuring to any other undocumented students, success is possible. I want to advocate for students in situations similar to mine. No one should have to reject field trips, live in fear, or be unsure of their academic future. I want to be the one to show them, not tell them, that being undocumented isn’t a disadvantage. Instead, it is a motivator. Being undocumented helps you discover the virtue of hard work and perseverance.