Nike announces a new sport hijab for Muslim athletes just days after launching a line of plus-sized workout gear

Nike’s inclusivity is encouraging

Hide Images

There’s sports equipment tailored to women of every height, weight, and proportion — and now there’s one for different cultures, too.

At a time when inclusivity is in question, Nike has created the Pro Hijab specially tailored for Muslim athletes. Nike’s new product will be released in the Spring of 2018 and provides breathability and stability for Muslim women who want to compete in sports and workouts while also honoring their religion and culture.

Recently, women have been gaining more momentum in the sports world and increasing their participation every year.

Because of this, Muslim women’s participation in events like the Olympics have also increased, but hijabs barred participation in a selection of competitive sports due to their inability t0 stay in place during vigorous activity or breaking safety codes.

The Daily Mail reports that Nike’s new sportswear was inspired by Saudi Arabian runner, Sarah Attar, who competed in the London 2012 Olympics as a runner with a hijab as well as an an Emirati woman named Amna Al Haddad,who weight-lifted in the 2016 Olympics.

These women inspired an entire new definition of sportswear with their dedication to their culture while also following their dreams. Muslim women will now be able to compete with confidence without worrying about rules inhibiting them or anxiety about their headwear falling off.

Nike has been on a roll with new campaigns that make their platform more inclusive. Just last week they launched their new plus size line so that women of all forms can enjoy their product with comfortability as they pursue an active life.

Snaps for Nike and their widening view of what it means to be a female athlete.