Last night’s Oscars was really great for horrible men in Hollywood

tips

babe  • 

Has everyone just forgotten?

If you’ve had allegations surface about you beating the shit out of a woman, then Oscars night is apparently your time to shine.

Two despicable nominees were honored last night — and one of them won — but the worst part wasn’t Mel Gibson and Casey Affleck having their work exalted. It’s the fact that everyone in the industry (well, for the most part) seems to be ok with it.

A quick recap: Casey Affleck, the significantly shittier Affleck brother, had to settle very graphic and disturbing sexual harassment cases out of court.

As for Mel Gibson, his Piece of Shit Rap Sheet is a mile long and includes (but is not limited to): homophobic remarks in the press, pleading no contest to beating his ex-girlfriend, leaving abusive and violently racist voicemails for exes, a DUI, and a never-ending stream of anti-semitic remarks.

And apparently, that’s fine.

If you’re accused of sexually harassing your coworkers and pulling your dick out in front of them, you’ll get an award, not a felony. If you grab your producer, harass her with texts and call her a cow, you win a prize and reverence, not a blacklist.

Hollywood as a whole is to blame for allowing men to get away with violence and sexual abuse over and over again. It’s Robert Downey Jr. advocating for the industry to “forgive” Mel Gibson. It’s Jimmy Kimmel making good-natured joked with him at the Oscars. It’s Casey Affleck not only being nominated but also winning after every single member of the Academy knew the allegations stacked against him.

What does this say non-famous men who commit acts of violence against women and each other? That everything will work out. And it does. Look at fucking Brock Turner. We have a very clear pattern of letting men get away with horrific crimes, and it’s a precedent set by Hollywood.

It’s normalized, its’s disgusting, and it’s time to stop.