Words from the wise: Women on what they would tell their college selves

‘I would tell myself that I’m stupid for not continuing with school’

With finals just around the corner and the stress from balancing life, school and work creeping up on us all, it’s easy to hit a few bumps in the road. If you need a little extra motivation, check out a few babes who have made it to the finish line — and beyond. 

We asked them what they believed to be their greatest accomplishment in life thus far as well as what they’d say to their college selves if they could speak to them now.

Channy, 31, senior biller at First American Title, graduate of California State University of Long Beach, class of 2008

“Being the first generation to have had a chance to go to college in my family was important to me. My parents ingrained it in our mindset how important it is to attend and finish college. My father was the sole provider in my family growing up, so as a woman and being Asian in this society, my goal was to do my best … To be able to make my parents proud and finish college.

However, looking back, I definitely wished I had done things differently during my college days.  I would’ve told my younger self to put 100% effort in my classes and take advantage of all the resources that college offered. I should’ve been more proactive in internships that my program offered, but I was too focused on going to school and working part time. I was too busy working while attending school that I told myself I didn’t have time to look for jobs that were related to my field of study. I graduated from CSULB in 2008 with a BA in Business Finance hoping to be a financial analyst.  However, having graduated 8 years ago, I am doing something totally different than what I went to school for.”

Lea, 46, career in property management 

“I think my greatest accomplishment would be my life’s journeys. And in each journey, I have inferred to my college education. With it, I am empowered. It gave me an edge … I feel I am heard, respected and minded. Most importantly, all the courses I took come together in the working world. It takes a while, but eventually it does make sense.

Most of us, during our college years, wondered whether the courses we took really mattered or if we would ever use them at all … When you hit my age, college education was really a crash course on how to manage your life and time. Once you get that, the rest is up to you. I would tell myself to learn as much as you can … At the same time, don’t think of each of your courses as a ‘have to’ but rather a ‘want to know and understand’ basis. Enjoy it more and learn more. Of course, having work knowledge helped me understand my college courses. It incorporates life experience.  I would definitely tell myself to do internships as that would really prepare me for what I had not expected during my journeys, and it most definitely would offer me a better chance of employment/positions.”

Kathleen, 51, auto broker, graduated from University of Southern California in 1986

“I would borrow the words of Susan B. Anthony: ‘Cautious, careful people always casting about to preserve the reputation or social standards never can bring about reform. Those who are really in earnest are willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathies with despised ideas and their advocates and bear the consequences.’ And the rewards of a clear conscience when they lay their heads upon their pillows each night.”

Susana, 29, call center agent, mother of two, attended Los Angeles Harbor College for medical billing and coding, did not graduate

“If I could, I would tell myself that I’m stupid for not continuing with school, but then if I did, I would have had to miss out on my kids growing up. I was stupid and missed out on a lot of schooling, but I don’t know … I do regret it, but at the same time I don’t. To me, a kid’s childhood is very important. They need mommy and daddy to be there. To miss out on that as a parent, it’s sad…But then again, everyone’s different. My sister is still going to school and has been for seven years, and sometimes I drop her off and get so jealous that she’s actually going to school. I plan on going back soon. It’s never too late.”

After the interview, Susana decided to look into taking an online course to ease herself into going eventually going back to school.

Stephanie, 29, preschool teacher, graduated from Orange Coast College

“My greatest accomplishment in life thus far is having learned to make decisions that put my own happiness first – which took a long time to get the hang of … I’d tell my college self ‘you’re making the right career choice, and everything will come together.'”

Gena, 48, playwright, graduated from California State University of Long Beach California with Bachelor’s degree in 1990 and a Masters of Fine Arts in 1995

“I believe my greatest accomplishment in life thus far is being loved and respected by my family and friends as an artist who has touched them. What would I say to my college self? ‘You should have taken more chances….’ But then I might be dead, so I ultimately did the right thing.”

Barbara, retired English and Theatre Arts teacher

“Even the random things matter. Reward myself more. Celebrate the failures for they are truly more valuable than the successes. They define your direction, motivation and elusive goals. The obstructions may take you down a path less traveled in the world, in a relationship and in your heart. The head does not always have to rule. The 4 pantomime walks (head, chest, hips and feet) are symbolic to our containment. Each needs attention to be eventually balanced. Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.”

We hope that one of these ladies has inspired you to do the best you can in your final exams, during your time in college and life in general because if they can do it, you can too.